Build Check Please

victoRaid

Hello all, just a quick build check. I'm looking for a high-end system to handle lots of media transcoding (1080P) and eventual ESXi virtualization.

With this build in particular, I'm worried about the lack of integrated graphics in the Xeon E3-1230. The research I've done so far is unclear if graphics are necessary for unRaid ops or not. Especially a concern, since the motherboard doesn't support IPMI or the like.

EDIT: It looks like the P8H77-I has its own integrated graphics (per the OEM site: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H77I/#specifications) which was contradicted on the pcpartpicker listing.

Also, a few more details about my requirements: Budget is not really a concern; goal is to keep it around $1000. Physical footprint and quiet operation are a large factor since it will be in plan sight in my apartment.

Thanks for any help/advice!

CPU:  Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor 

Motherboard:  Asus P8H77-I Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard 

Memory:  Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory

Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive

Case:  Lian-Li PC-Q25B Mini ITX Tower Case

Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply

Other: unRAID Server Plus

It looks like the P8H77-I has its own integrated graphics (per the OEM site: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H77I/#specifications) which was contradicted on the pcpartpicker listing.

NO !!  The motherboard does not have integrated graphics.  It simply supports the on-chip graphics for the supported Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors.

Note also that this board is not designed for Xeons.  While it does offer some limited support for E3-1230, 1230 v2, and 1245 v2 CPUs, it does not support ECC memory.    If you want to use a Xeon with this board, use the E3-1245v2 so you'll have graphics capability.