Recommended 2TB drive?

Vocatus

I'd recommend the WD Red or the Seagate NAS drive.    Both of these are excellent drives that have superb performance and a 3 year warranty.    Both use 1TB platters, so have much higher data transfer rates than drives with lower areal density.

They're not the cheapest, but the price differential is modest; and they're well worth the extra few $$

I'd recommend the WD Red or the Seagate NAS drive.    Both of these are excellent drives that have superb performance and a 3 year warranty.    Both use 1TB platters, so have much higher data transfer rates than drives with lower areal density.

They're not the cheapest, but the price differential is modest; and they're well worth the extra few $$

Thanks garycase. Do you notice any speed issues with 5,400 RPM drives?

The Red spins at 5400; the Seagate NAS at 5900.    Both are plenty fast enough to saturate a Gb LAN connection, as they have very high areal density (remember, they're both 1TB/platter units).

Obviously the seek times are slower than with 7200 rpm units;  but I'm VERY happy with the NAS-oriented drives.  They run much cooler than 7200 rpm units; and the performance is certainly good enough.

The Red spins at 5400; the Seagate NAS at 5900.    Both are plenty fast enough to saturate a Gb LAN connection, as they have very high areal density (remember, they're both 1TB/platter units).

Obviously the seek times are slower than with 7200 rpm units;  but I'm VERY happy with the NAS-oriented drives.  They run much cooler than 7200 rpm units; and the performance is certainly good enough.

Okay, I'll take your advice. I just bought a 7,200 RPM drive for the parity, but I'll replace the rest of them with the NAS drives. As long as they can saturate a 1GB link I'm happy.

Thank-you.

My 3TB WD Reds easily outperform my 2TB 7200rpm WD Black -- thanks to the areal density of the 1TB platters.    Of course a newer 1TB/platter WD Black would outperform the Reds.

But the NAS units use much less power; run a lot cooler; and easily have "good enough" performance.  They'll easily outperform your older 500GB drives.

My 3TB WD Reds easily outperform my 2TB 7200rpm WD Black -- thanks to the areal density of the 1TB platters.    Of course a newer 1TB/platter WD Black would outperform the Reds.

But the NAS units use much less power; run a lot cooler; and easily have "good enough" performance.  They'll easily outperform your older 500GB drives.

Great, thank-you. I'm looking forward to swapping them out.

Archived