Optimal Memory for asRock Z87 Exteme 4

I'm getting a hardware error in my syslog, be that as it may, I didn't have this problem until I started playing with Plex.  I believe that it has to do with Plex playing with my memory.  I currently have 2X4G, but was just wondering what the optimal memory would be for my unRaid rig.  asRock z87 extreme4 mobo with Intel i3-4340 cpu.  I have 10 data drives (31T), parity drive (4T), and my cache drive (60G).  At this point cost is not the object, performance is, I have so much in it now, you get the idea.  What memory sticks would you use for optimal performance?(http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87%20Extreme4/?cat=Memory)  Thanks!

I'm getting a hardware error in my syslog

What is the error?  You seem to be assuming it's a memory issue, but without knowing just what the error is it's hard to confirm that.

If your memory subsystem is reliable, then Plex "playing with" your memory shouldn't make any difference.    FWIW, with that board I'd use a pair of 8GB modules (16GB total) at an non-overclocked speed (i.e. nothing faster than DDR3-1600 => I'd probably go with DDR3-1333 for max reliability).  I would definitely NOT install more than 2 modules.

I been pondering this for a few hours now, and my elderly powers of deduction, have done this.  here's the error:Tower kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged  So common denominators are overheating CPU, nope, running at a cool 38C.  I've taken my rig down, separated all cables, rechecked connections, restarted.  Next common error cause could be: "Memory errors or Error Correction Code (ECC) problems" tends to lead me back to the memory modules.  So far the only time these errors appear is while PMS is running.  My memory usage seems extreme:

(from /usr/bin/free -l)

total      used      free    shared    buffers    cached

Mem:      7984548    6229672    1754876          0    139756    5872260

Low:        836244    624200    212044

High:      7148304    5605472    1542832

-/+ buffers/cache:    217656    7766892

Swap:            0          0          0

My old powers of deduction seem to be leaning towards memory, but I'm going to hold for awhile and see what happens with PMS off.  I may be out in left field, but I just can't see the processor or the board as the problem...

I'm using a EVGA NEX750B SuperNova 80Plus Bronze, so I think I got the power covered.  I got my memory in the right slots, checked and double checked.  After some research, I think, but not this evening, I'm going to recheck my memory, may be ECC (not supported by my mobo, or my i3 processor.  so, I'm still on track for a memory change, maybe?

Your CPU is on the supported processor list (I already checked that) ... but you're certainly correct that the system does not support ECC memory, so if you've installed ECC modules that could be causing some compatibility issues.

If you have any doubts, I'd replace the memory modules with a pair of 8GB DDR3-1333 modules (nice, conservative memory) => that should eliminate any concern about memory being the culprit.  Use Kingston, Crucial, or Corsair modules.

Thanks, Gary.  Got that new memory this afternoon and replaced the 8G in the rig.  Maybe premature, however, looks like a good memory distribution, and no errors reported so far.  I still figure it had to be the memory as this mobo has one of those Dr. Diagnosis and wasn't reporting any error codes, they only seemed to show when getting near to maxing the memory (so explains PMS).  Soooo…if I get an error code now, this old stubborn retired Marine will just build a bigger, better rig.  Thanks, Again.

Maybe spoke too soon:  This is crazy memory usage:

(from /usr/bin/free -l)

total      used      free    shared    buffers    cached

Mem:      16307620  15895292    412328          0    150240  15421148

Low:        770708    397848    372860

High:    15536912  15497444      39468

-/+ buffers/cache:    323904  15983716

Swap:            0          0          m there.

Only thing "extra" I'm using is unMenu and PMS.  I'm shutting them down and see what happens from there.

It's kinda getting me PO'd.

Yes, that's a very high memory utilization for a base server ... especially the high memory figures.

See if that's true without PMS running => I've also got UnMenu and it doesn't cause anything close to that (although the only packages I run are the APC UPS and Clean Shutdown).

It'd be particularly interesting to see how it looks without Plex ... I suspect that's the major culprit here.

I'm still concerned about the high memory usage and I'm also showing about a 2.4% Rx packet drop.  All I have is the asRock z87 Extreme4 mobo, Intel i3-4340 CPU @ 3.60GHz, and the SAS2LP-MV8 PCI-e card.  All I have on my drives are media for XBMC and Plex running from unRaid.  All seems to be working fine.  Keeping this in mind and this is my first build, I want some help before I really get in over my head.  I've been reading my syslog and these things come to mind:

1.  My current unRaid version is 5.0.2 and from reading my hardware list it seems feasible that I should upgrade to 5.0.4 mainly due to the SAS2LP card upgrades.  I flashed the card with the current bios to get it working when I first installed it, it didn't work otherwise, but I don't have any idea what the ID is.  So, first order of business would be to upgrade my unRaid version, correct?

2.  Here's where it gets touchy, would a mobo bios flash be recommended?  My current bios is P2.30 dated 7/03/2013.  The current bios is 2.60 dated 12/17/2013 (http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=BIOS). It says not to flash if no problems but I'm dropping packets and high mem usage.  Would you try flashing the new bios?

3.  The only OS I have on this bear is on the USB flash with unRaid, but I'm reading on the main page of my mobo that asRock has "Easy Driver Installer is a handy tool in the UEFI that installs the LAN driver to your system via an USB storage device, then downloads and installs the other required drivers automatically through the internet. Completely no CD or optical disk drive required!" - Not running Windows or anything, is this a necessary upgrade as maybe my dropped packets are from the LAN.  I really don't know anything about drivers in Linux.

Being my first build, I want it to purr like a kitten, I really think I should upgrade my unRaid version, but I'm not really sure about the rest….Any warnings, suggestions, additions or deletions would surely be appreciated…..Thanks and Happy New Year to All!

I'd upgrade to v5.04 for sure.

I'd also update the BIOS, just to be certain there aren't any updates that might impact your system.    AsRock makes it very simple to do this -- you just need the latest BIOS file on a USB flash drive that's formatted in FAT32

You don't need to bother with the "Easy Driver Installer" ... that's clearly a Windows-based utility to install everything you need for a Windows install, which, of course, you're not using.

Sounds like everything's actually working just fine ...

All seems to be working fine.

... I'd do the updates to ensure you're not missing anything from later versions ... then just enjoy the system  :)