Move regular drive to parity drive. How?

So I started building a new machine for unRaid, and I slapped a new 500gig drive in it.

Old system had 4 x 250gig drives in it.

Copied enough files off the old server, to free up a couple of 250gig drives which I then migrated to the unRaid machine. Then finished copying the rest of the data from the old server onto the 250gig drives now in the unRaid machine. Once that was done, I migrated the last 2 drives into the unraid box.

After moving the data around (in the unRaid box) between the drives, I freed up the 500gig drive, which I was going to use as a parity drive.

But how do I do it?

I tried stopping the array, move the 500gig drive from the drive 1 slot to the parity slot, but unraid keeps telling me that a drive is now missing from slot 1 (see attached pic). How do I make it forget that there was ever a drive in slot 1?

What's the recommended procedure for this maneuver?

So I started building a new machine for unRaid, and I slapped a new 500gig drive in it.

Old system had 4 x 250gig drives in it.

Copied enough files off the old server, to free up a couple of 250gig drives which I then migrated to the unRaid machine. Then finished copying the rest of the data from the old server onto the 250gig drives now in the unRaid machine. Once that was done, I migrated the last 2 drives into the unraid box.

After moving the data around (in the unRaid box) between the drives, I freed up the 500gig drive, which I was going to use as a parity drive.

But how do I do it?

I tried stopping the array, move the 500gig drive from the drive 1 slot to the parity slot, but unraid keeps telling me that a drive is now missing from slot 1 (see attached pic). How do I make it forget that there was ever a drive in slot 1?

What's the recommended procedure for this maneuver?

Check the "checbox" under the button labeled "Restore" and then click on the "Restore" button.

You are, in effect, removing a drive from the array and the only way to remove a drive it to store a new initial configuration.  the button labeled "Restore" saves a new initial configuration. (It has NOTHING to do with restoring data. As I said, it is poorly named)

After you press "Restore" you will need to start the array, at that point it will compute parity on the entire set of disks in the array.

Joe L.

Archived