[SOLVED]HELP - Screwed up install of LSI SAS9211-8i & can't get unRAID up again.

Well...

It looks like I screwed up my LSI SAS9211-8i install. I'm stuck and I could use some help. Yeah, I'm a n00b, too.

I've been holding off the install because I've been waiting for the breakout cables to come in; and a new Seasonic power cable, and a SAMSUNG 840 Pro SSD cache drive. Rather than being patient, I put everything together, moved the drives around for better air flow, added a couple pre-cleared HDDs, and switched out a couple [almost too] short SATA cables - All At The Same Time. The Server isn't in a easy-to-get-at location.

Everything looked like it was going well. Lots of verbose text, BIOS updating, and auto-rebooting. Then it hung at: "Starting system message bus: /usr/bin/dbus-uuidgen --ensure ; /usr/bin dbus-daemon --system" Finally [5 minutes later, but felt like an eternity] it moved to "Welcome to Linux 3.9.11p-unRAID (tty1)" and "Leone4 login:"

I can login, and enter some commands, but that's it. I SHOULD have grabbed the syslog.txt right away, but I've been trying one thing after another and rebooting along the way.

I have since put the server back to way I had it; except for the SATA cables - I'm not sure which one [or two] they were - but the parity drive wasn't one of them. The SAS9211 is back in it's anti-static bag; and I changed the Supermicro BIOS back to USB boot.

I've attached my last/current syslog.txt. I'm not really sure what part I'm supposed to be looking at.

My unRAID experience had been going well enough that I start to delve into to learning more about linux; but I only JUST got Arch dual-booted on my laptop.

One last thing: while I have four windows machines, they are all small form factors (or laptop) without an available PCIe slot, so I really need to flash the SAS9211 in the unRAID server.

TYIA to anyone willing to lend a hand.

~ Michael

syslog.txt

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

I just wanted to let anyone reading the original post know that the problem was the cabling. I spent some money and switched out all SATA data AND power cables, and everything just started working again. The SAS9211-8i is up and running. I will have to go through each able to see which can be saved; but that is for another day. It is my guess that both cables to the parity drive were bad - at the same time.

~ Michael