[Updated] Obroa-Skai - Fractal Design Define XL R2, Supermicro X10SL7, Xeon 1240

Wonder of wonders - it was the drive screws that got delivered!

Although, there should have been 32 included with the accessory kit and on first glance, without opening the packet to count them, it doesn't look like there are 32 screws in the packet.

But it does look like there's enough for mounting 4 drives in the extra drive cage, so that will do.

Now I just need to put them somewhere safe so I don't lose them before I need them. Taping the packet inside the server case probably isn't the best idea  ;D

It was the drive screws I was missing also!

I went to Maplin only to discover that they do sell the drive screws as part of an anti-vibration HDD mounting kit but there are only 4x screws in the packet... the packet is £4! I needed 22 screws!

On the plus side upon checking the back of the packet I discovered that the screw's identifier is 6-32*8, managed to find someone on ebay selling packs of 10 for £2 delivered. Take that Maplin and Fractal.

I don't understand why these screws are so hard to find, you would think there was more demand for them!

Taping the packet inside the server case probably isn't the best idea  ;D

Why not?  I keep extra drive screws in a small "snack pak" plastic envelop and tape them to an unused drive tray.    Keeps them with the system they belong to; and in a place I won't lose them  :)

I don't understand why these screws are so hard to find, you would think there was more demand for them!

Agree => you'd also think there'd be just a bit of standardization in drive mounting screws ... but sometimes I think they TRY to make every different case use different hardware !!  :)

Why not?  I keep extra drive screws in a small "snack pak" plastic envelop and tape them to an unused drive tray.    Keeps them with the system they belong to; and in a place I won't lose them  :)

I would worry about the screws becoming dislodged from the packet over time and finding their way somewhere they shouldn't.

As it happens, the accessory kit comes in a box which is just the right size to slip into one of the drive trays (this is how the original accessory kit shipped with the case). At the moment I do have the box occupying an unused drive tray, so I may just pop the screws in the box and keep it in there while I have room.

Poprin - thanks for the info on the screw size - I didn't have a clue what they were. That might come in useful one day.

I also think it strange that FD don't sell the screws separately on their parts site. They do sell the rubber anti-vibration grommets but not the screws to be used with them.

Archived