Permissions problems with unraid and sab/sb

tucansam

After fighting with an ubuntu install for a few days, I have gone back to running sab/sb on a Windows machine while I try to figure out permissions problems. 

I'm getting a little confused here.

Here's what's happening.

If I log into my Windows machine as 'jason' and run sab/sb, with "noboby users" as the owner/group of /mnt/user and /mnt/user/tv_shows, and with unraid user 'jason' having full permissions on all shares, sb can't create folders for new shows, and sab downloads existing shows into the /mnt/user/tv_shows root, not /mnt/user/tv_shows/show.  Also, most times sab ends up with an "unpack" folder that may or may not contain the video file for the show, in addition to the newly created show folder, which also may or may not contain the video file.  So I am having to manually copy, as user 'jason' under windows, the video files to the right place.

I tried to create a user called "nobody" under Windows, and run sab/sb as this user.  Also cannot write to /mnt/user/tv_shows

If I chown /mnt/user/tv_shows/* to 'jason,' all works well.  But then I think I am going against the grain as far as what unraid wants, as I think 'nobody' is the proper owner for all shares, right?

Not sure how to handle this.

Make sure you don't confuse unraid share settings with actual filesystem permissions. Both need to allow access. Sounds like you have problems with the latter?

Google filesystem permissions and make sure you understand how they work. Also, there is a permissions mask setting in sab that will determine the permissions for the folders sab creates.

Archived