Is Samba slower than Microsoft SMB?

Transfers between a Windows 7 client and a Windows Server 2008 R2 server were lightning fast. I could copy a sufficiently large file at ~115 MB/s, with occasional peaks exceeding 120 MB/s.

After migrating the server from 2008 R2 to unRAID, I've noticed that transfer rates have become slower, even when parity protection is turned off. Transfers now peak at just under 110 MB/s, with 95-100 MB/s being the norm.

Is Samba inherently slower than SMB? Or are there tweaks I can make to speed things up a bit?

Transfers between a Windows 7 client and a Windows Server 2008 R2 server were lightning fast. I could copy a sufficiently large file at ~115 MB/s, with occasional peaks exceeding 120 MB/s.

After migrating the server from 2008 R2 to unRAID, I've noticed that transfer rates have become slower, even when parity protection is turned off. Transfers now peak at just under 110 MB/s, with 95-100 MB/s being the norm.

Is Samba inherently slower than SMB? Or are there tweaks I can make to speed things up a bit?

You can try to enable jumbo frames, on both unRAID and your windows box.  It may have some side effects if you use another client that doesn't support jumbo frames.  But I haven't had any problems (yet).

Archived