Installing Transmission and CouchPotato

I have now tried for the past 5 hours to get Transmission and CouchPotato to work and have now given up.

It is too damn complicated!

Problem was some directory issues. I tried again and again to tell Transmission what folder I want it to put unfinished torrents in and which one to put finished ones in, but nothing seems to work. Was not much better that the settings.json file refused to let me edit it.

Same time I tried to setup CouchPotato but then again I could not get it to understand what folders to use for the things I want to use it for.

To me it seems like the unRAID OS is a little in front of the plugins, they have apparently not been updated for a really really long time and that tells now - they are very unuser friendly to work with.

Can anyone tell me what I should have done to make it work?

It would have been awesome to let the box all by it self take care of torrent downloads and categorizing without me doing much.

My build is this one

Out of curiosity what is your folder layout?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Its really simple:

I have shares called Documents, Media, Software Library and Torrents.

In this case the share called Torrents have folders called Complete and Incomplete.

All I wanted to do was to have the actual torrent files in the share root of Torrents, deciding the ones being downloaded into Incomplete and have them moved to Complete once they are done, and if possible have the torrent files deleted automatically.

Sounds pretty straight forward, but I just could not get it to work and even had a hard time deleting the plugins but now they are gone.

For transmission you need to start and then stop the service before you can edit the json file. 

Kryspy

Believe me I did... And it did not work. My editor said it was locked no matter what I did. I later found out the problem maybe was that my Mac for some reason refuse me to login as root? I can without any trouble use my root login in webui, unmenu and telnet via the same mac, but as smb connection it does not want to do it. It will only use my personal login that does not have the same privileges.

Its in your Mac.  Open finder then goto "GO" Goto folder and enter that address line with your username from your Mac and press enter.

Kryspy

Thats what I thought, but its not there. A screenshot of my user folder where it should have been

EDIT: root user never has SMB access... Thanks for the try, but that does not seem to be the problem then.

Why does my Couchpotato and Transmission give me SO much headache!

Actually another thing I forgot to mention, when transmission was installed it gave my unMenu a hard time working, now when its uninstalled unMenu works perfect again. It is very strange and I would really recommend giving those two programs a good update so they are easier to setup - because if I ever get them to work my server will be amazing!

Now it's just a big bunch of TB worth of data storage...

Maybe start over with your flash and run the new permissions script. If all else fails install ssh and "chown" the direcoty of the installs to your user.  You did add yourslef as a user in unRAID correct?

Difficult for me to assess as its been a while since I used plugins myself. Transmission can be a pain.

Kryspy

Maybe start over with your flash and run the new permissions script. If all else fails install ssh and "chown" the direcoty of the installs to your user.  You did add yourslef as a user in unRAID correct?

Difficult for me to assess as its been a while since I used plugins myself. Transmission can be a pain.

Kryspy

Maybe we should have a discussion about what other options there is :)

Are you using another machine to download and then just use the unRAID as storage?

I am actually in between unRAID events building a very low powered Linux machine on the AMD Kabini platform, that could easily play nicely as a torrent catcher and just dish that away to the server. Or you have another solution?

I'm using unRAID 6 with a Ubuntu 12.04 VM with Transmission, Plex, Subsonic and CrashPlan installed.

Kryspy

As I am totally green with unRAID, what you mean is you are virtually running a different OS in your unRAID that have the normal Ubuntu version of the mentioned programs installed? If I was to do the same, how do you access those programs? They have a webui like the unRAID plugins or you RDP/VNC to the VM to control them?

• 1 month later...

simple way

Did you install vai the plg, https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Influencer/UNplugged/master/transmission_unplugged.plg if so just edit the plg file where the settings.json is made. Lol its a noob way but you wont have to set premissions or repaire them.

another way

If you have unraid 5 and followed the guide then you probably have telnet enabled so grab a telnet client like putty

for address use: tower

for port use: 23

then move to the directory where settings.json is

type: cd /boot/config/plugins/transmission/

then type: ls -l

this will show the premissions for the file

full commands and noob guide here for changing premissions, just take note of premissions already set

http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/309527-understanding-linux-file-permissions

set it so you can edit it :) once done start midnight command its a text gui file browser

type: mc

then move over file and click edit. then quit mc and your back to your folder with settings.json in it. then put premissions back on :)

Ps: i will be installing myself once the wife goes to bed, some people on here don't understand that some people have no clue about *nix and are about as useful as an ash tray on a motor bike to newbies. I find using mc the best way to navigate are *nix and was bought up using it in dos though as a nix novice i love it has everything you need.

ok after going through hell getting it installed due to wget and certs and then going oldskool and totally editing and the plg and going by manual mode i got trans on and working. Yer good old version 5 of unraid and outdated wget with cert issues. Even curl wasn't playing nice :(

To fix this issue you have which i also got do the following

1 stop transmission in the web panel

2 edit settings.jason and set your directories

change //Downloads to a path on your server like /mnt/cache/download

do this for both complete and in complete

and then save the changes, i just used me to edit it

3. shut down server and restart and it works 100%, you must restart the whole server don't ask why cause christ knows maybe settings.json gets written to ram disk from /boot/config/plugins/transmisssion to /usr/blah blah

now when you connect with the transmission remote make sure you edit these directories so it knows, trans remote cant change your settings thats done with settings.json so i think thats where your getting raped, maybe its because it is owned by root god knows and i don't care settings.json is much more better then a gui for girls.

After going through your post do you have transmission installed on your unraid server? is it showing up in the webgui? because if you just run the plg then it more then likely isn't because it broken if you have wget 1.13 due to the cert issue with github.com and all it grabs from this place is 4 png image files.

See if you just stuck the plg file in and rebooted you wouldn't see this error, if its not installed in web menu under settings let me know and ill upload my modified plug + the 4 small pics and write a lame step by step.

If ya really a total noob give me your directory you wish to use /mnt/disk1/downloads /mnt/disk1/incomplete for example and ill build the plg for you and even upload the missing png files to my own website which has a certificate thats vaild and all you have to do is remove the plg file you have reboot put my plg file in reboot and your up and going :) I'll even go 1 step more and do couchpotato since it only 4 more images at github.com

menu1.jpg.a1c132350af12c95cad108d1a29bdbc6.jpg

heres transmission done with the above mnt points so please make a folders like so on unraid box, there case sensitive. also use these in the transmision remote :)

/mnt/disk1/downloads

/mnt/disk1/incomplete

just download and unzip the file. Remove the plg you already have, Reboot, place this plg into your /boot/config/plugin folder, Reboot and presto :) Let me know how it goes as i cant test atm as my torrents are on the go:) I will do couch later for you but i have to go out and do some shopping :)

Screw it just did couch for you to, same thing remove old plg, reboot, put this plug into the plugin folder and then reboot :) remember plugins go into

/boot/config/plugins 

if you don't have a folder called plugins under /boot/config/ then make one

I also fixed sabnzbd if you wanna use that as well for newsgroups

PS: to other people this is using my own web host to download the png image files because of the gethub.com issue with certs its breaking plg installs, this is why people should be told to install plugins with installplg so they can see whats going wrong and if the installs worked.

transmission_unplugged.zip

couchpotato_v2_unplugged.zip

sabnzbd_unplugged.zip