Experienced MOD moves to unRAID 6.0beta on ASRock E3C224-4L

SSD

Syslog looks pretty clean. The following lines are reported as minor issues through the filtered syslog in unmenu ...

May 23 14:43:53 Tower kernel: PM-Timer failed consistency check  (0x0xffffff) - aborting. (Minor Issues)

May 23 14:43:53 Tower kernel: Warning: Processor Platform Limit not supported. (Minor Issues)

May 23 14:43:53 Tower kernel: ACPI Warning: 0x000000000000f000-0x000000000000f01f SystemIO conflicts with Region \_SB_.PCI0.SBUS.SMBI 1 (20130328/utaddress-251) (Minor Issues)

May 23 14:44:01 Tower emhttp: shcmd (7): killall -HUP smbd (Minor Issues)

May 23 14:44:01 Tower avahi-daemon[1417]: WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns! (Minor Issues)

I thought that Linux supported 8 cores - so not sure what that second one means.

I don't think the other ones are anything to worry about either, but if someone sees anything of concern please let me know.

Was able to setup my test array (3 320G Seagates), build parity, check parity. I set a fixed IP address for the BMC, and that is working fine.

I have installed the SSD, and plan to follow JumperAlex's excellent guide HERE. But I believe a starting partition sector of 2048 is better than the 1024 but waiting for confirmation before proceeding. Eventually this drive will contain my VM images, but thought I start out playing on a magnetic, so that I could experience the performance boost when switching to the SSD.

Next step - following IconicBadger's ARCH VM Guide SEE HERE

Stay tuned ...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry have been a little delinquent updating this thread. Have been having too much fun with my ArchVM virtual machine, which works extremely well.

I am accessing my Windows Workstation remotely using TeamViewer which is just like being at home and allowing easy access to my unRAID servers. Installing packages is very easy with ArchVM.

After running addons for a few days I had a nasty crash that took down the whole unRAID 6 server. (Turns out to be a known bug in 5a.) I thought I was screwed and was going to have to ask my wife, who wouldn't even be home for hours, to travel into the netherworld of my computer gear to reboot it, as I am 500 miles from home. Then I remembered IPMI and was able to reboot my server remotely within minutes. That was awesome. ;) I've read complaints about ASRock's IPMI implementation, but I have zero complaints. I think it works quite well. And when I needed it, it worked perfectly. Nice.

More to come ...

Archived