5.0-rc12a Lost File Permissions [SOLVED]

Hello,

I think I tried to fix this once before but got fed up with it... now I'm running some new setups after a long time of waiting and I think my unraid box is having trouble communicating with xbmc properly (shows being left out of parsing for no reason, etc, etc... i have threads open in the xbmc forum).

Anyways, I booted into 5.0-rc12a from (I believe 4.7) some time ago and never was able to retrieve file/folder rename ability... I ran the permissions script from the web GUI that I think is supposed to fix this exact issue but it didn't work... I've ran it a few times with no success (no fix, rather- the script runs just fine and says it is successful).

See attached for syslog and error messages. I do see this problem in the forums but I'm having trouble following the instructions that already exist to try to remedy... figured I'd give it a shot just asking for my own help here.

Also - if you have any guidance on prepping an unraid box for XBMC to be able to work with it properly (in case that is part of my issue) - I'll happy take anything anyone has to offer!

Thanks.

syslog.txt

error.PNG.8b0c18fca4c3f9a711b026d7a1407154.PNG

If you upgraded from 4.7 you probably need to delete the credentials stored in Windows.  Unless you've got multiple users on unRAID you shouldn't need to supply any credentials to access unRAID (assuming default share export).

Instructions http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/remove-stored-passwords-certificates-and-other-credentials

There's nothing in here to delete... (see attached)

I don't have multiple unraid users (or multiple windows users) - 1 each

credentials.PNG.94d1fd21ba52536707a949a55f55488a.PNG

The only other thing I can think of, is that you didn't add a user in unraid, and are trying to do things as root. And doing things with files as root over unsecured connections has security-issues, which is why it isn't supported in 5.0 anymore.

If that is the case,

Also since we had a few versions since 5.0rc12a, check the release notes for newer versions, and see if anything changed regarding permissions, there have been a few changes during the 5.0 release cycle. Might even want to consider upgrading to 5.05, and keep a backup of the stick so you can go back if needed.

Otherwise, I'm (already) out of ideas.

well no i never bothered adding a user since i'm the only one that uses the machine.

that being said, would adding a user now even do anything? all of the other files were originally written there as root, and i probably can't do anything about them.

i'm trying to overwrite permissions now using windows utilities... it hasn't thrown an error yet but it'll take forever to run through everything; we'll see what happens.

i did try putting a user on the unraid box but nothing seemed to happen or change... just now...

I think that's what they were, I feel like I saw that somewhere...

I haven't really been sure what to do but I was stumbling around in windows security so I tried to send permissions using the following dialogs (inherit from parent)... I don't really know what this'll do... but nothing else has been working so...

against all odds whatever i've done appears to have worked... will do some more checks and then switch post to solved.

thanks all for your input... note to others: the error I was seeing appears to be fixed by going to tower:

properties - advanced - change permissions - check both boxes ("Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent" and "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" )

Then I just applied and let it run. so far it's letting me change/delete/move things that I previously couldn't...