Toshiba drives "dumbed" down to SATA-1 speeds? WD RED's OK

Hi All ,

Having an odd problem that I haven't been able to get to the bottom of.

I have 2 WD Red 2TB drives as my main array, and I added a 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300 as Parity and 1TB Toshiba DT01ACA100 as Cache.

For some reason, both of the Tosh drives end up running at 1.5Gps (SATA1), while the WD Red's, can achieve 3Gps (SATA2).  My MB is an Asus A8N Premium, which is capable only up to SATA2, so I don't expect 6Gps on any of these drives, but I also didn't expect the Toshiba's to be stuck at SATA1 speeds.

I've changed ports that the Tosh's are connected to, and no matter what I do, the speed on these stays at 1.5Gps SATA1.

I could not ID any BIOS settings that seem like they might impact this.

snippet from syslog attached.

Hopefully someone has an explanation or can assist.

Thanks in advance.

-jm

syslog.txt

@bjp999:

I have many of the Toshiba 3TB drive he posted and they are jumper free and are all connecting at Sata II speeds - the speed of the controller to which they are connected (AOC-SAT2-MV8s on PCI-X bus).  So I don't think there is a jumper issue.  They can hit 180MB/s on the outside cylinders on my preclear station but the SAT2-MV8s I've got them on currently will only achieve 100MB/s on the outer cylinders on a parity check.  Well below Sata I speeds which might be true of his A8N premium as well.  If I had them connected to an M1015 I might be able to achieve 130MB/s on the outer cylinders on a parity check which is still below Sata I speeds.

@jmaino

Have you tried to update MB bios and firmware on HDD controller?  Do you have your cables wire tied together?