IMPORTANT: DOCKER + PCI PASS THROUGH BUG FOUND

All,

Let me start by saying that this issue has been evading us for some time and we just recently found a way to recreate it consistently.

For any individuals that are attempting to use Docker Containers AND PCI device pass through with KVM in a single host, please note:

AUTO-STARTING YOUR CONTAINERS WILL CAUSE VFIO-BIND SCRIPTS TO RESPOND WITH A READ-ONLY ERROR TO THE DEVICE!!!

Quite simply disabling auto-start of your containers until AFTER you've performed VFIO-BIND will resolve the problem.  We have seen pretty consistent results in testing so far, but let us know if you're having problems.

• 1 month later...

I don't have my docker containers set to auto start, i can disable docker all together and i still get this problem.

root@Tower:~# vfio-bind 0000:07:00.0

./vfio-bind: line 11: /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/new_id: Read-only file system

I get it in XEN mode too now.

Parsing config from windows.cfg

libxl: error: libxl_pci.c:992:libxl__device_pci_reset: Failed to access reset path /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:07:00.0/reset: Read-only file system

Any Ideas?