[Resolved] - Cannot put Unraid 5.0.5 to sleep via Command Line - Motherboard iss

Hey Guys,

There is a wealth of knowledge in this forum, but I cannot seem to find an answer to my challenges.  Here is what I am trying to do.  I am brining up a second unraid box to serve as a backup device to my production unraid server.  I have an rsync running to send Production Data to the backup server.  I am trying to configure WOL to put my backup server to sleep to conserve power.  The challenge I am having is putting the device to sleep from the command line.

I have followed this guide, but it seems to be for an older version of Unraid 4:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Setup_Sleep_(S3)_and_Wake_on_Lan_(WOL)

Just to cover what I have done. The BIOS is configured properly and the ethtool command to make sure Wake On is set to G.

Here are the command I try to use to put my device to sleep:

1. echo 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep - From what I have gathered, this command works in Unraid 4, and no longer exists in Unraid 5.  I did look and there is no Sleep in that ACPI folder

2.  echo -n mem >/sys/power/state - That appears to be the new command for Unraid 5.  I enter that command.. I hear the disk jiggle.. but it never goes to sleep.

3.  "Sleep" button on SimpleMenu server web page - I hit this button.. and server doesnt go to sleep.

In BIOS, I changed the Power button from turning the device off, to putting it to sleep.  If I hit the power button, the device does go to sleep.  I look at my kill-a-watt, and the power drops to like 2 watts and the NIC light is blinking.  If I send a WOL magic packet, the device does wake up.

So based on that, I have WOL configured properly, I just cant seem to put it to sleep from command line.  Does anyone have any guidance or suggestions?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Ton

Ok.. the s3 issue appears to be related to my motherboard (Zotac IONITX-A-U).  I updated the bios and same problem.  I took my unraid flash drive and plugged it into another board, and the command worked just fine.

Since I did configure WOL already, I do not need s3 for my backup unraid box.  I am just sending the HALT command after the drives has spun down.  When I need to transfer data to this box, I just send the magic packet and wait for the server to fully boot.

- Ton