XBMCbuntu Setup/Config - Install Fails

bungee91

I've successfully setup a Windows 7 and 8.1 VM for testing/playing in beta 7 (working extremely well too!), however no luck with setting up an XBMCbuntu VM at all!

Not sure if anyone else has had success or not.

I'm able to initially boot the iso fine, select install, I get the text with "ok, ok, ok,"etc... on the screen, and then it goes black and hangs.

I never actually get to a setup screen.

I have my xml setup with the iso to boot, and then a qcow2 raw image as an available installable disc, however I never get to the point of selecting/installing.

I had thought it may be a linux problem, and something having to do with the kernel, or bootloader, or something I need to assign to the libvirt xml, but I've tried multiple ways with the same failures.

I am hoping to set this up as a dedicated setup with GPU passthrough specifically for a media playback purpose.

With the Windows xml's, I only need to create them correctly, and run a "virsh create win7.xml" (for example) and all is well.

This works perfectly fine and I can VNC into the XBMCbuntu install, it just hangs badly shortly after starting the process.

Any help is appreciated, I can share my XML, etc... to try and see what I may be doing wrong.

I'm having the same problem with xen. I had this working a few months ago,  but it was not extremely stable and I believe I had to use an old version to get it installed.  I just tried tonight with the latest available xbmcbuntu and get the same black screen after "install xbmcbuntu". I'm curious if anyone has a stable working xbmc vm.

I'm glad it's not only me.

I played around with this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=189241

Using VNC on in the xml to do the install (no GPU passthrough set at this point).

It seems to take forever but it does install minimal Ubuntu.

I then SSH'd into it once booted and attempted the 2nd part of the install with XBMC.

I also did this through VNC however it failed stating the wrong video card/drivers aren't installed.

I then used an xml with the proper GPU passthrough enabled, started it up, and the entire server froze dead at start.

I'm pretty sick of complete lockups when playing with GPU passthrough, so for now I'm done playing.

I think this method can work, and then you can do an in-place upgrade to Gotham easy enough.

I'm currently having to do a parity check, so no time to play for a little while.