Looking to build new "big" system

kingpin

Currently have a Supermicro x7sbe (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182142&cm_re=x7sbe-_-13-182-142-_-Product) with a quad core processor and two pci-x sata cards. currently 22 hard drive system (with parity and cache)

the processor seems to be going out (machine freezes after a couple of minutes even while in the bios menu) and i have been thinking about upgrading anyways to eliminate some of the computers i have laying around the house.

i would like to have a couple of virtual machines.

1- plex server

2 - sabnzdb, sickbeard, etc

3 - simple mac (web browsing, facetime, skype, nothing intensive)

the 6 core x5670 can be had for about $150 a piece or so on ebay right now so i was thinking of doing a Dual 1366 motherboard. i am not up to date on the vm stuff yet, but i am going to get my unraid back up and working and would like something that will be able to handle multiple machines in the same case.

thank you for any help

...  the processor seems to be going out (machine freezes after a couple of minutes even while in the bios menu)    ....

Have a quick check of the CPU cooling fan and its heat sink.  This sounds like you might have a fan that is not running. 

If this is the case, you can still proceed with the CPU replacement but be prepared to order a new CPU cooler when you do.

i have removed the CPU and cooling fan, replaced the paste and reinstalled them both. it is still doing the same thing. i do think that i might have got paste on the processor itself (underside). after the machine kept freezing i took it apart again and noticed paste on the copper pads of the processor and the post of the socket. i cleaned them both off, but i think the damage may already have been too much.

as i don't know much about vm yet i was wondering if someone could tell me what i should be looking for in order to make sure i get the correct motherboard in order to have everything ready for when the time comes to start making virtual machines

Archived