Passthrough works with Windows 7 but not Windows 8?

archedraft

I setup 2 VM's with virt-manager (Win 7 & Win 8 ). The Windows 7 VM will let me install drivers for items that have been passed through. The Windows 8 VM refuses to install any drivers... I am thinking that maybe it is a limitation with virt-manager's template (as in virt-manager only has templates up to Windows 7 and does not have one for Windows 8 ). Does anyone have a Windows 8 template they have successfully passed through any GPU's? If so, would you please post it? I was thinking I could just build a custom VM with webvirtmgr...

Alright I think the reason why my Nvidia GPU is not being passed through is because I have not bound the GPU to vfio-pci or added its group to qemu.conf... The GPU in question is a Nvidia 8800 GT. The strange part is that I have a Radeon HD 4350 and it will pass through to Windows 8 without binding it to vifo-pci or its group being in the qemu.conf. I am not sure why the Radeon is working but for the time being I am just going to roll with the Radeon as my graphics card for my Windows 8 VM.

I plan on messing with the Nvidia card in the future because it is better than the Radeon but I would prefer for LT to give a more step by step procedure on the best way to pass through GPU's and USB ports with VM's... Until then, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

Alright I think the reason why my Nvidia GPU is not being passed through is because I have not bound the GPU to vfio-pci or added its group to qemu.conf... The GPU in question is a Nvidia 8800 GT. The strange part is that I have a Radeon HD 4350 and it will pass through to Windows 8 without binding it to vifo-pci or its group being in the qemu.conf. I am not sure why the Radeon is working but for the time being I am just going to roll with the Radeon as my graphics card for my Windows 8 VM.

I plan on messing with the Nvidia card in the future because it is better than the Radeon but I would prefer for LT to give a more step by step procedure on the best way to pass through GPU's and USB ports with VM's... Until then, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

With all GPUs, success is limited.  Its not always drivers.  e.g. two different AMD cards that use the same drivers can have different success with pass through.  To be fair, it's come a LONG way from what the support used to be and while it does keep getting better from time to time, there is never a guarantee for what will or won't work.

That said, I'm hoping that soon I will be able to have a little more time to work with folks one on one to get configs working.

Well if we can get the Nvidia card to work in the future that is fantastic but if not I will not lose any sleep over it. I just figure that the KVM is still a moving target with how LT with implement the final version. I am sure I could figure out how to use vfio-pci and it would probably work but the next beta might change how some things work and I have already spent a good amount of time messing around with XEN, Docker, and KVM. I'm currently content to wait and see how KVM progresses.