Motherboards with PCI-E SATA Controllers??

smino

Guys I was just going over the MB List : http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hardware_Compatibility#Hardware_Reported_to_Work

and was wondering if any of these had all there onboard SATA controllers on the PCI-E bust instead of the PCI bus?

Correct me if I am wrong, but can the GIGe Nic card alone saturate the PCI BUS? So add a few drivers with Parity also running on the PCI bus,

and you hit a bottleneck.

Any recommendations for boards with 8+ sata controllers on PCI-E bus, as well as the NIC on the PCI-E bus?

All recent Intel ICH* and AMD SB* southbridges are "full speed" and not using the pci bus. Most manuals have a schematic map that show what all the components are connected to. Additional ports beyond the 6 that those southbridges support are typically attached to a PCI-Express lane. Download the pdf manual of boards you're interested in and look for the map near the start.

I'm not aware of any inexpensive 8 port boards at this time. Sadly we've regressed, there was a better selection in the past.

From what I understand, I have to agree with Romir.  I think most modern SATA ports are supported directly by the bridge chipsets, do not use either the PCI or PCIe busses.  I think you were misled by an untrained support person.

Correct me if I am wrong, but can the GIGe Nic card alone saturate the PCI BUS?

It shouldn't on a modern board.  I have a Pentium III system, and a Gig NIC card does saturate mine, but that is pretty old, with an older and slower PCI version.  I do agree though, that it can impact drive performance, if drives are also on the PCI bus.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived