I need advise on new share setup

I have my unraid server up and running, but I am confused on shares. I read that a share can get full even though the server has more space available because the share was set up inproperly. Say I create a share for movies. I have 16tb of space with 10 drives. What would be the correct settings on the share to make sure I never run out of space on the share, even if the disk that the share is on gets full. I want to utilize all space all the time on all drives. Is this possible and is it safe? Any information at all would be greatly appreciated. I just do to understand how to setup a share properly.

I have a user share setup for myself under my name and a guest share as well.

As for the disk shares I have them setup as Movies, high water split level 1. TV Shows, high water split level 1. Concerts, high water split level 1. Kids Movies, high water split level 1.

This makes sure the associated fanart, posters etc are kept in the same folder as the movie. So it reads like Movies/Terminatator/ Terminator - Blu-ray.mkv. The fanart, poster etc are all kept in the Terminator folder. I use cache dirs so when I browse my movies etc on my openelec box it doesn't spin up my disks until I actually play a movie.

My TV Shows read like this: TV Shows/Prison Break/Season 1/Prison Break - S01E01 - Pilot - Blu-ray.mkv

The only reason I have the Blu-ray appended to the end of the filename is so my Openelec skin MQ5 shows the Blu-ray Box for the film or TV show.

Just don't add anything in the include or exclude boxes if you want to use all the disks in your server.

Thank you so much for that explanation! That helps me out a lot. I just wanted to know how to setup the shares and what water mark and splits to use so I never just fill up 1 disk. Like if I had a 100gig drive and a movie share on it and another 500 gig drive, I do t want to get 500 gig of movies and be out of space. I want the server to use the total 1000gig space. So highwater no split and don't specify any explicit drives will let me use the total server space..

I use a split level of 1 on my shares. If you just have say for example the movie, TV Shows and concerts shares showing and drag and drop your files to those shares over the network it makes sure the files stay together. If you have disk1 to 10 showing and drag and drop to the movie folder for example in disk1 it will place the files in there and split level doesn't affect anything. Each disk as it's written to will have a movie, TV Shows etc folder with files and folders in it but when viewed by clicking on just the movie share it will show the movie folder on each disks grouped together. Some people don't hide the disks so they can move folders and files between disks. Others hide the disks so they only see for example the movie share and drag folders and files to this share. In this case you must setup a split level of say 1 as I do because if I drag a folder called Aliens to this movie share it knows that it can be placed on any disk that has met the high level criteria and places it in the movie folder on the disk that high level sees as next in line. You must also setup a min free space. I have 45GB on my Movies, Kids Movies share and 220GB on my TV Shows share because I know it will then keep my TV Shows seasons grouped on one disk and likewise it won't start copying a movie to a disk unless it has more than 45GB of free space on it. I'm not bothered about splitting my TV Shows seasons across disks but I do want to keep all episodes of a tv show season together on the same disk.