Erratic Parity Errors and no Syslog

coziers

I am an unRaid newbie with a 2 year-old system which has never had any problems and to which I have made no hardware or software changes. The last good Parity check in May 2014 reported 0 errors. I ran a Parity check in November (none in between) which reported 1763 errors. Since then I have run 3 more Parity Checks--1 Correcting and 2 subsequent non-Correcting--all of which have generated different, and increasing number of Parity errors, the most recent being 31,193.

1. Correcting Parity Check (which I should probably not have done) of Nov 26.

2. Two subsequent non-correcting runs: what is confusing to me is that while I unchecked the Correcting block at the beginning of Runs 2 and 3 some screenshots still show Parity as being corrected.

3. In each case the number of errors has changed.

4. I downloaded a Syslog at the end of Run 1. It seems complete and lists the sectors that were corrected. Downloaded a Syslog at the end of Run 2. It does not seem to be complete. There is no Syslog after this and as a result none available for Run 3. I have tried to generate a Syslog from the UnMENU add-on but it just shows the Syslog as empty with 0 lines.

5.    All drives report having passed the SMART overall-health self-assessment test.

I have no idea what is going wrong or how to correct the problem. Also, I have no idea why the Syslog is not generated. Can anyone help me with these issues?

Incidentally, the second syslog was 70MB in size and made no reference to parity errors; it was too large to be attached. Also, the screenshots are too large to be attached.

System

AMD Athlon II X2 260 dual-core 3.2GHz processor

ASUS E8626_P8H77-M PRO Motherboard

8MB Kingston HyperX Blu RAM

3x3TB WD Caviar Green HDD (incl parity drive)

4x2TB WD Caviar Green HDD

1x2TB Seagate Barracuda LP

1x500GB WD Caviar Blue HDD (cache drive)

syslog-2014-11-261.txt

• 4 weeks later...

Archived