help rescue my upgrade from 5.0rc8a to 5.0.6

My UNRAID 5.0 rc8a installation was working well when I decided to upgrade to the latest.  I misinterpreted the upgrade instructions (failed to comprehend that rc8a counts as a release prior to 5.0.x) and and now I am not sure how to proceed.  Basically I followed the instructions for someone who was already at 5.0.x, and I took what seemed like the more straightforward path:

1. I did NOT backup my entire flash drive before starting.  I know, dumb.

2. I DID backup my config folder from the flash drive (not entirely dumb)

3. I formatted my flash drive using my Mac per the new install instructions and ran the make_bootable_mac script.

4. I copied my config folder to the flash drive, replacing the existing folder.

I tried to start the box and it hung during boot (got as far as booting the UNRAID OS, then hung during this process).  At this point I realized that I did not follow the Wiki upgrade instructions correctly.

My question is: what should I do now?  Would it be easier to try to recreate my old flash drive and start over? I still have the 5.0rc8a zip file - can I just reformat my flash, copy all this over, and then copy over the config folder from my backup?  A bit afraid to just go off trying things at this point for fear of losing content on my array...

any help appreciated!