Drive disabled shortly after start, forensics?

pengrus

As the title says, had a relatively new drive fail in my backup server.  Just wondering if some log-reading gurus can help me sort whether this looks like a cable problem, or a drive problem.  It happened several months ago, I just shut down the server until I had time to figure it out.  Log is attached, money shot is at 1932ish, right after everybody gets mounted.  It looks like it's failing on a journal reconstruction?

FWIW, after I restarted the server, the drive is disabled, but passes a short smart test, and has 3 raw_read_errors and 7 multi_zone_errors, but no telling when that happened!

TIA!

-P

syslog.zip

Shocking, how fast it disappeared!  One minute it's there, working fine, and next minute it's gone, totally unresponsive.  As far as I could see, it never responds again, not even to bring up the SATA link layer.  That usually means the drive is fine, but it lost its connection or power.  The SMART report looks fine, no real issues, and the recent boot with it also looks fine, so I'd say the drive is fine and not at fault.

Looks to me as if the SATA or power cable just fell off the drive, or fell off the connection at the other end.  If there's a power splitter in the power connection, check that too.  Since it did not happen to any other drive, I don't think you have a hardware problem, just a loose connection somewhere.

Archived