Is unRAID locking me out?

Raident

I find that if I reboot a Windows client several times in quick succession, I'll eventually reach a point where I can't reconnect to my Samba shares until I reboot the unRAID server. Could someone explain what's happening in these situations?

My guess would be that you are not allowing your unRAID server to become the Local Master.  (Go to 'Settings', 'SMB', set 'Local Master to "Yes".)  Shut everything down on the network (Window computer, media players) that use Samba to access files except your server.  Wait ten minutes. then turn back on all the devices.  Now go get a cup of coffee at Starbucks and drink it there.  By the time you get back, everything should be back to normal.  (You can translate these events into time intervals if you like.  ::)    )

The local Master is a DNS (sort of ) server for Windows networked computers.  The process is very slow to sync everything up when the Local Master changes to another computer.  When the Local Master becomes unavailable, an 'election' is held and one of the computers is 'selected' to become the new 'Local Master'.  The entire network then has to become aware that there is a new local master and login to become a part of the networking table.  (I understand that the default polling time for Windows computers is something on the order of ten minutes.  I suspect the reason for this long time is that SMB was set up back in the days when networking speed could be as low as 1mbps and 8086 processors were the order of the day.)

When I went to check, my unRAID server was already the Local Master. So I went and turned everything off for a while and then did a test, but after the 3rd reboot the client still exhibits the issue  :-\

After you get the failure to connect via SMB if you wait a half hour, can you connect?  (Question, why are you rebooting multiple times in a short period of time?  Remember, SMB is required to work with computers that are still running windows 3.1 on 15Mhz 8086 computers. That are still a lot of polling protocols from those days floating around in it.)

I haven't tried waiting for a while after failing to connect... I'll test it out tomorrow and let you know.

I suppose you could say I accidentally discovered the issue while trying to diagnose an unrelated driver issue. It was basically an Install Driver -> Reboot -> Uninstall Driver -> Reboot -> Install Older Version -> Reboot -> ..... rinse and repeat type of situation. With the speed of modern CPUs, SSDs, and Windows 8's greatly improved boot times, each of these reboot cycles ended up taking maybe 2 minutes.

Archived