Where to start? Win7, DVD, XBMC, Plex

kristisdad

This is what I'm looking to do.  Currently my "active" server (5.0.4), all media, serves media to my "in house" XBMC boxes, Minix, TV2, RaspberryPI, each being self-contained only accessing the media (I love my toys), and PLEX server (utilizing my cache drive) handles my media over the internet.  In order to add media to my server, I have to use my Win7 computer with makeMKV and save to my server share, be it Movie, TV or Music.  I guess I could do the same with my new setup but that's not the purpose of my new server.

Now, I have my new server (v6b12)setup with 3 shares, TV, Movies, Music.

I think I would have to add Win7 VM, in order that I would be able to use makeMKV (only comes in two flavors Win or OSX) with a DVD drive connected by either internal connection (5.25 bay) or externally by USB.  So, is this possible to do in Zen?  This would do away with the two computer scenario.

I don't use say, CP, transmission, none of that…just XBMC and PLEX.

If so, then the next step would be to add the DB for XBMC, in order that my other devices would be able to connect and

add the PLEX server for Plex outside the home.

Should I add another SSD so I have one for cache and one as a vm container?

Most of the tutorials are gauged at "older" versions of v6, but have been very informative.  Any guidance in the right direction sure would be appreciated!

Archived