Memory suggestion/question

drpete

I bought the super micro x10sri-f mother board. Here are the specs for its memory:

Up to 512GB ECC DDR4 2133MHz LRDIMM; 8x DIMM sockets

Looking on new egg I see there is crucial memory that is ddr4 2133 ecc and it is 102 for 8 gb  ( Crucial 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC DDR4 2133 (PC4-17000) Server Memory Model CT8G4RFS4213). But I also see there are others that are significantly more ( SAMSUNG 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR4 2133 (PC4-17000) Server Memory Model M393A1G40DB0-CPB) this one is like 175 for 8gb. Trying to understand the difference. They all seem the same but can't be if there is that much of a price difference.

Suggestions for memory would be great. I am thinking of doing 2 x 8gb. Also would like to know the actual differences.

Thanks again for any help

ps. Should I thank you in advance Garycase as I would bet money you will be the first to post :)

did some reading and didn't realize that there is unbuffered dcc. I just assumed that dcc went with registered. That explains the cost difference. Guess I will be going with ddr4 dcc registered 2x8 gb. Looks like samsung it will be. Does anyone have preferences as to particular brand or are they all good when it comes to crucial/kingston/samsung ?

@drpete

The Supermicro product page has a link for tested RAM.  I'd first look for any modules on that list.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon/c600/x10sri-f.cfm

Tested memory is the top link under Links & Resources.  A direct link to the memory page won't work due to some java magic the web site uses.

The tested units are all ECC Registered.  The Registered aspect is what differentiates the two products you list.  A description of the feature is posted at newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/product/CategoryIntelligenceArticle.aspx?articleId=126

Hope that helps!