[Solved] Red drive, replacement drive not being detected.

David1312

Hi guys,

I'm having a bit of a problem that is driving me nuts.

I got a red ball on one of my drives a week ago (drive was an old external hdd, has been working perfectly in server for over a year), so I went to replace it with a new drive. I removed the old drive and went to plug in the new one. but when i booted up the server, but it wasn't detecting the new drive. it was still a red ball and not a blue one.

so i tryed to detect it through a telnet session using the preclear command to show drives that were not in the array. it detected nothing.

i tryed plugging the old hdd (red ball) hdd back in but it didn't even know the hdd was plugged in at all. again tryed telnet, but told me no drive was detected.

I have tryed both new/different sata and power cables and positions.

This new/replacement drive is plugged into the second position on a pci-e sata adaptor. There is another hdd (working perfectly) plugged into first position of the pci-e sata adaptor card and that it is working fine. I have tryed plugging the sata cable from the new/replacement hdd into different positions on the pci-e sata adaptor card, but i haven't been able to get it or the old hdd to be detected.

there are no more spare sata ports on the motherboard itself, so i can't test it by plugging it into the sata ports on the motherboard, i have to use the pci-e sata adaptor card.

i removed the new/replacement HDD from the server and tested it in an external hdd case, and it was detected by my computer and seems to be working perfectly.

any ideas guys.

I am hoping i have missing something simple and it can be fixed easily

details of all my hardware should be in my tag

Dave

edit- i will post a syslog from the server as soon as i get back home

Thanks also for the replies guys.

I'm starting to think it might be the sata card itself. I think my next move will be to buy a new pci-e sata adapter and put it into one of the spare pci-e channels and hope that once i plug the hdd into that it will work.

Sounds like its either going to be the port on your SATA card, the SATA cable itself, or the power connection.  Have you tried using a different power cable?

I have tryed the two other unoccupied other sata positions on the pci-e adaptor card. i have tryed 2 other sata cables and they didn't make a difference. i have also tryed three other sata power connections that come out of the PSU, one of which was a molex cable that i plugged a sata power adaptor into. again no change.

Did you try stopping the array, unassigning the bad drive, then restarting the array?

After that shutdown and put in new drive, turn on and assign it?

When i first went to replace the red ball drive i stopped the array, un-assigned the red-ball HDD then shut down the array, replaced the hdd and turned it back on again.

so i have no option now to un-assign it again.

but i also have no option to assign the new hdd as is isn't being detected. even the old red-ball hdd isn't being detects, which it should be even though it is red-balled.

i wasn't just going to assign the new hdd, first i wanted to do a few cycles with pre-clear, but it wouldn't detect any unassigned hdds.

If anyone else has any idea of the problem i would very much like to hear from you

• 3 weeks later...

Archived