ASUS P5N-VM DO with Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8

So...

I've been using unRAID since about 2007 (yes, the famous ASUS P5N-VM DO MB) and haven't upgraded any of the hardware  :'(... only hard drives. I'm to the point where I would like to add some > 2TB drives. I originally thought I needed a new MB, CPU, RAM, and controller card. After reading the following thread: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10671 , I might not have to. Yes, this is referring to SAS, not SAS2, but I'm hoping the same should apply.

Can I just add the SAS2LP in the "graphics" slot, disable PEG/PCI, and start adding new drives/re-configuring existing drives?

I'm really not in the situation to rebuild my box, but I'm willing at at this point to put a BAND-AID® on to break the 2TB barrier.

Thoughts?

Any comments are welcome, thanks!

Dan

Yes, that's all there is to it.

I presume you're aware that the FIRST large drive has to be the parity drive, since its size must be >= the largest data drive.

I see from your other thread that you've already upgraded to v5, so you're ready to go ... all you need is your new larger disks  :)