Getting deeper into v6. KVM & Xen - why did LT implement 2 and which one?

danioj

Hi All,

Well I guess the topic says it all. As I look into Virtualisation on v6 I realised there are two ways to go. KVM or Xen??

I have to wonder why LT implemented two methods of virtualising on v6. I mean why not go with one and then at least everyone is heading in the same direction too! Obviously LT is pushing the use of Dockers - but of course thats only for Linux based applications.

It "appears" (to me at least) what Xen seems to be "favoured" but I still don't know. Do we now have an idea if one is going to be phased out in favour of the other?

I'd be interested in any opinion!

Daniel

KVM has been the default for virtualization for quite some time. Initially Tom chose Xen for virtualization (early 6.0 betas). That decision was changed after a few beta releases in favor of KVM. As I recall, the primary reason provided is passthrough, in particular video passthrough, is more reliable. For those with working Xen VMs from the early betas, Tom continues to support Xen as a boot option. For those without legacy Xen VMs, KVM is the recommended virtualization engine to use.