[QUESTION] Can I update /etc/sudoers within a docker container?

gravymaker

Is there any way I can alter a /etc/sudoers file within a docker container? 

If I telnet to unraid and update the /etc/sudoers file, it is ignored by my SABNZBD container when SABNZBD runs a postprocessing script.    I'm attempting to allow the "nobody" user with the ability to sudo mount ISO files in a post processing script without asking for a password.

I realized that when I search the entire filesystem for a "sudoers" file, i see MULTIPLE copies of it stored in a bunch of docker subvolume directories.    I have no idea which subvolume my SABZNBD would be looking at when it runs the postprocessing script.

I sure hope this question makes sense to someone... I'm not sure I'm asking it clearly...

*EDIT* ah ok I found a way to identify the right subvolume  using info from this post:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22907231/copying-files-from-host-to-docker-container

..testing now...

Well, I was able to update the SABNZBD container's /etc/sudoers file.  great.

the new error is that the container does not recognize any loop devices, so my SABNZBD post-process script command of:

sudo mount -o loop /blah/blah.iso /tmp/989 gives me an error of:

mount: Could not find any loop device. Maybe this kernel does not know about the loop device? (If so, recompile or `modprobe loop'.)

Docker containers, well, contain their whole filesystem within the docker.  So you can't just telnet to the Unraid box and search the files like normal.  The only exception would be those folders that you map in the docker setup page, like /config = /mnt/cache/appdata/sabnzbd

It is possible to get a CLI in the container but any changes you make I think you will lose when the container gets updated, unless you setup your own docker account and "push" the changes you've made, which will create a new container under your account name.

Thanks - i get it now.  (Total docker newb.) 

my overall objective was to be able to mount and copy within the SABZNBD container, which it looks like i cannot due as there are no "loop" devices in the container setup for me to run the "mount -o loop /path/to/iso /mnt/mountedIso

Thanks - i get it now.  (Total docker newb.) 

my overall objective was to be able to mount and copy within the SABZNBD container, which it looks like i cannot due as there are no "loop" devices in the container setup for me to run the "mount -o loop /path/to/iso /mnt/mountedIso

Could you add a new mount point in the docker setup to put your isos?

EG

/isos = /mnt/cache/mountediso

That's the way I'd approach it.

Archived