Trayless hard drive rack

vca

I have one and although the design looks strange prior to installation, the drives have always loaded properly and have not generated any interface errors.

I personally wouldn't recommend it on account of low drive density within a case and its trickier to provide adequate cooling.  My exhaust fans were insufficient by my standards as it was hitting 48C.  One thing to note is loose cables can get wedged between the connectors and get crushed.  Best to keep the case tidy if you're using these.

It would appear the only thing they lack is a cooling fan, but I'm guessing this should not be much of an issue if your case has a reasonable exhaust fan.

Probably unnecessary, but I'll just repeat that it's not how many fans you have or how good they are, but where the airflow is.  You can have lots of very good exhaust fans, but if there are dead air spots around a drive, then it can overheat.  On the other hand, if you make sure there is at least a small flow over and around each drive, then you will have happy drives.

Archived