Replacing Multiple Data Drives with a Single Larger Drive

Note: This discussion refers to this version of that wiki article. I have edited it as a result of this thread. Please suggest corrections.

While that would probably still work, I would say no. The GUI has Tools - New Config for changing your disk configuration. The part about not having parity during the copy is perhaps debatable as well. It will make the writes faster if done without parity, and in the end parity will have to be rebuilt anyway when you remove the smaller disks. However, with the much larger drives in use today, the copy could take many hours, perhaps even a whole day or more. Whether you want to run without parity protection during that period is up to you.

Another possibility is to rebuild one of the drives onto the larger drive, then copy the data from the other drive, then do New Config. This is probably the way I would do it, and keep parity intact until I had to remove that last drive. Others may chime in with other preferences.

Also, since you posted this in v6 support, you might be interested in changing file systems on the new drive. See this sticky at the top of this subforum for a lot of discussion about moving data around on the server for purposes of changing file systems. The method for replacing multiple drives with a single larger drive is really just moving/copying data and New Config.

Thanks for the tips trurl

Currently I have

1 x 6TB WD Red (Parity)

6 x 2TB WB Green

1 x 250GB SSD (Cache)

I am going to put in 2 x 8TB Seagate Archive's and take out 4 of the 2TB Greens.

I think I will preclear my 8TB drives, remove my current parity and replace it with a 8TB, rebuild parity.

Then follow your way of doing it below:

Another possibility is to rebuild one of the drives onto the larger drive, then copy the data from the other drive, then do New Config. This is probably the way I would do it, and keep parity intact until I had to remove that last drive. Others may chime in with other preferences.

After I fill up one drive I can do the same thing with by swapping back in the 6TB drive.

I'm not looking forward to how long this is going to take  :-\

trurl, would you like to update that wiki page for us?    :D

To really do it justice there should be a lot more detail. For example, you shouldn't try any of this without being confident in the health of all drives, including preclear on any new drives. Also, the copy could use rsync with some verification as described in that other thread I linked. And the command line stuff should probably be run in screen. But all of this may be a little overwhelming for some and introduce a whole lot of additional ideas that need further explanation.

When I converted to XFS I actually just did moves between disks from mc, so I didn't really bother with verification unless mc does it behind the scenes.

It seems like some of the official documentation in the wiki (when it is not outdated) takes the simplest approach, but not necessarily the best approach, depending on your criteria for best. Simple could be the best, or safest might be, or fastest might be, etc.

TL;DR, I may be too OCD for the job! I might be willing to try if someone could suggest what is the best way.

To adapt an old saying, BEST is the enemy of GOOD.  Or another, "something is better than nothing".  Unfortunately, many of us wait for others, those who we're sure could do it the best, and it never gets done.  My belief is that wikis are different, and make it possible for anyone to contribute a little, which can then be raw material for some one else to shape into form, then someone else can polish it up.  I think that adding multiple methods (with perhaps known pros and cons) is better than having nothing at all, plus it may inspire someone else to add more, and perhaps someone else will describe why one method is best.

Wikis are somewhat like outlining.  You don't have to create the perfect design, and the perfect opening.  You start just by throwing all the info at the board, then slowly reorganizing it, reshaping it, fleshing it out here and there ...

A good start for this one is just what you have said in your posts above.  But I don't ever want anyone to feel obligated, we all have lives outside of here, that keep us busy.

I have updated the wiki page referenced in the OP.

Note that I have done this mostly from memory and a little research on the forum. I don't have a test server to try this out on, my only server is on the latest v6 beta and I haven't worked with v5 in several months.

Please review and give feedback and corrections.

We should probably have a centralized topic somewhere for wiki reviewers if we are really going to work on these.

Note that I have done this mostly from memory and a little research on the forum. I don't have a test server to try this out on, my only server is on the latest v6 beta and I haven't worked with v5 in several months.

Nice work!  I did fix a few typos, adjusted a few things, added some links.  I also changed the formatting for one method to use numbered steps, so you could decide which you like best.  Auto numbering is tricky when other elements are involved, eg. can't use intervening boxes.  I can revert it (any or all) if you don't like it, or you can change it any way you like.

We should probably have a centralized topic somewhere for wiki reviewers if we are really going to work on these.

Good idea, I'll start one in the Forum Feedback board.

Nice work!  I did fix a few typos, adjusted a few things, added some links.  I also changed the formatting for one method to use numbered steps, so you could decide which you like best.  Auto numbering is tricky when other elements are involved, eg. can't use intervening boxes.  I can revert it (any or all) if you don't like it, or you can change it any way you like.

Good idea, I'll start one in the Forum Feedback board.

TYPOS! MOI!? :o

I always use preview, and read everything again before I post it. Until recently I was convinced that I was better than average about editing what I was about to post, email, etc. But since I have become so active in the forum I have seen myself quoted a lot, and while I am still above average ;D, I don't seem to be as good as I thought.

I had never edited a wiki page before so I was sort of winging it along with the built-in help. I started to make them numbered lists but saw they were going to restart after the block I put in so changed them to bullets.

I may have some time tomorrow to do some more edits on it. But more important than how it looks, is it right? I can't really test it.