Restore capacity of (incorrectly) removed drive?

JimPhreak

So in the process of converting my VM + Storage server into an all-in-one server, I took apart my old unRAID storage server without properly removing them from the array.  So of course they are now showing the wrong capacity when I go to write zeros to them using WD Data Lifeguard in Windows 7.

Is there an easy remedy for this?

unRAID does not change the capacities.  What are some examples of the numbers you are seeing?

This is what Windows is showing for my 3TB WD Reds.

3TB%20WD%20Red_zpsb7lwutid.jpg

P.S.  This drived is attached via a SATA -> USB adapter as that's the only way I can connect them to my PC currently in order to wipe them.

You've got that drive connected to a system that does not support drives > 2TB  [actually you're using a USB bridge device that doesn't support these drives].

Consequentially it's showing the capacity as (True Capacity) mod (2TB) ... i.e. the remainder after dividing by 2TB.

There's nothing wrong with the drive ... you just need to connect it to a USB bridge that supports large (> 2TB) drives or directly to a SATA port in the system (which most likely supports the larger drives).

You've got that drive connected to a system that does not support drives > 2TB  [actually you're using a USB bridge device that doesn't support these drives].

Consequentially it's showing the capacity as (True Capacity) mod (2TB) ... i.e. the remainder after dividing by 2TB.

There's nothing wrong with the drive ... you just need to connect it to a USB bridge that supports large (> 2TB) drives or directly to a SATA port in the system (which most likely supports the larger drives).

That's what I figured but was hoping to avoid having to open up my computer in order to wipe each drive (my PC only have room for one 3.5" drive).  Oh wellzzzzz.

Archived