SOLVED:Upgrade from 5.05 to 6.0rc4, using trial, claims too many devices

casmith

Hi,

Just upgraded. I have installed the trial key. The start button is grayed out even though I only have 2 data drives and 1 parity drive assigned. I also have another drive in the machine but it is not assigned.

I looked through the forum and did not find this problem listed.

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

Just upgraded. I have installed the trial key. The start button is grayed out even though I only have 2 data drives and 1 parity drive assigned. I also have another drive in the machine but it is not assigned.

I looked through the forum and did not find this problem listed.

Thanks for your help.

The license limit is for "attached" devices -  not "assigned" devices.

Thanks, I  understand now. However, this did work with 5.05 so I was expecting the same operation. I added a 5TB parity drive to replace a 4TB parity drive, unassigned the 4 and assigned the 5. So, is it recommended to unplug the 4TB drive now that I'm at version 6?

Thanks

Thanks, I  understand now. However, this did work with 5.05 so I was expecting the same operation. I added a 5TB parity drive to replace a 4TB parity drive, unassigned the 4 and assigned the 5. So, is it recommended to unplug the 4TB drive now that I'm at version 6?

The licensing terms changed.  v5 (and early v6 betas) were about assigned devices.  The current v6 is about attached devices. 

Note also the current v6 release requires you to apply for a license file even on the trial release.  The trial license is valid for 30 days at a time (although you can renew it when the 30 days expires).  As far as I know there is no limit at the moment on the number of such renewals.

Sounds as if you will need to remove a drive until/unless you buy a license to increase the limits.

I did get the trial license as part of my upgrade. I'll go ahead and unplug the 4TB drive and give that a try.

That would be the way to go.

A small point to note is that the check for the number of attached devices applies at the point where you start the array.  If your system supports how-swap (or you want to use a USB device) you can plug a device in temporarily after starting the array and the array will continue to run.  This can be useful if for instance you want to plug a drive in for backup purposes or to run a pre-clear on a disk you later intend to add to the array..

Here's an update. Unplugging the 4TB drive has allowed the array to be started.

I don't like this change from ver5 to ver6. But, for free, I guess I'm not in a position to complain. Unraid is awesome!

Thanks for your help.

Archived