Mover not moving

dtempleton

Since upgrade to 6rc4 Mover has failed to remove files to the array.  This might correlate with setting up Dropbox and having a number of my mac files moved to the server cache volume. 

The forum contains reports that this is due to netatalk, which makes sense since my log is full of the following failures:

Jun  8 22:09:43 Tower logger: ./Media/Movies/!New/blank (2015)/blank.mkv
Jun  8 22:09:43 Tower logger: .d........x Media/
Jun  8 22:09:43 Tower logger: .d..t...... Media/Movies/!New/blank (2015)
Jun  8 22:09:43 Tower logger: >f+++++++++ Media/Movies/!New/blank (2015)/blank.mkv
Jun  8 22:10:01 Tower logger: rsync: rsync_xal_set: lsetxattr(""/mnt/user0/Media"","user.org.netatalk.Metadata") failed: Operation not supported (95)
Jun  8 22:10:01 Tower logger: rsync: rsync_xal_set: lsetxattr(""/mnt/user0/Media"","user.org.netatalk.has-Extended-Attributes") failed: Operation not supported (95)
Jun  8 22:10:01 Tower logger: rsync: rsync_xal_set: lsetxattr(""/mnt/user0/Media"","user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.A2PmUJ") failed: Operation not supported (95)
Jun  8 22:10:01 Tower logger: rsync: rsync_xal_set: lsetxattr(""/mnt/user0/Media"","user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.KHFHlm") failed: Operation not supported (95)
Jun  8 22:10:01 Tower logger: rsync: rsync_xal_set: lsetxattr(""/mnt/user0/Media"","user.org.netatalk.supports-eas.OFF9mm") failed: Operation not supported (95)

One user suggested it was due to Apple's notorious hidden files, so I deleted them from the cache using a script to remove all ".Apple*" files.  No joy.

Another user said cryptically that he got Mover to run by removing the "-X" argument from the Mover script (I might have that wrong, and I didn't try that.)

With all the upgrades in netatalk perhaps others have resolved what seems to be a recurring issue.

Advice?

OK, to answer my own question.

This seems to be a longstanding problem with netatalk, that places a number of files named

.fuse_hidden########### in the .AppleDB directories.  These are hard to delete because a netatalk ps called cnid_dbd is open and accessing them.  I found this with lsof .fuse_hidden0014ba9300000036 (one of the files)  then killed the cnid_dbd ps that showed up.

The .AppleDB directories that are a problem can then be emptied and deleted as normal.  the cnid_dbd ps seems to restart relatively quickly so it might pay to shut down netatalk entirely or at least be prepared to kill the process again if you don't delete the .AppleDB files right away.  Then restart unRAID (or maybe restart netatalk) and mover works as normal.

Please let me know if there is a way to prevent it.  I do mount most of my shares with SMB but must have used AFP recently.

Archived