unable to add precleared disk until reboot; unable to quick-add precleared disk

dchsueh

Hello,

I ran into a strange situation.

I precleared a disk successfully (it was originally a parity disk).  It was sitting unallocated for a while before I stopped the array to add it.

unRAID recognized it as a new disk and (GUI) presented the standard checkbox, clear disk button, with warning.  There was no option to start the array otherwise.  In unRAID5 I have done this and the disk was immediately accepted into the array.  In my case, after clicking clear button, the web GUI refreshed to the same page - present the checkbox and clear disk button.... I could not advance it at all.  dmesg output said

Jun 19 12:32:13 Tower kernel: md: import disk6: [8,64] (sde) WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-xxxxxxxxxxxx size: 2930266532

Jun 19 12:32:13 Tower kernel: md: disk6 new disk

I decided to reboot after a few seemingly ineffective clicks.

Upon reboot, I had to stop the array and add the disk again.  I ticked the clear disk checkbox and submitted clear button, and the array started to do the long clearing activity.  The disk was not recognized as precleared.

I am using preclear_disk.sh 1.15, the same one I've used successfully with unRAID5.

Anybody try a similar scenario, and have it add a precleared disk immediately?

Thanks.

--

addendum: running unRAID 6.0.0; after the reboot the checkbox+clear was the only option to start the array

It didn't find a Preclear signature on the drive, reason unknown.  Preclear has an option (-t) to test a drive for the signature - preclear_disk.sh -t /dev/sdX

If you are sure a drive is good, you can do a quick Preclear with the -n option, full zeroing and signature but no pre-read or post-read - preclear_disk.sh -n /dev/sdX

Archived