Help Server died

Hello,

I am not 100% certain where to post this since the questions span between Unraid 5 & 6 and also hardware.

Not sure how it happened, but safe to say something on my motherboard went having to do with memory. So I am going to take this opportunity to upgrade the system.

As apart of the hardware upgrade I will be switching USB Sticks and upgrading from my plus to a pro license. Also I read that unraid 6 has a new filesystem and I would like to take advantage of that.

Since I cannot get the current system online, how can I transfer the data to the new system?

Can I pull each drive out and pop it into a external HD dock or case and transfer the data over to the new system?

Please let me know if i can provide more information, I'm a little confused and overwhelmed at the moment, not liking the idea that I might lose 12TB of data.

Don't know if this is relevant, but in case I posted what happened below.

Background

Several weeks ago, I noticed that my video would be pixelated randomly. I doubled checked different versions when I could and they were fine. Thinking maybe the file was messed up somehow during the transfer I didn't think much of it. A few days later the system locked up. Had to power button shutdown and reboot. It started doing the parity check, left it to run, the system locked again. I am not sure when exactly,  and only realized it was locked when both the GUI and attempts at telnet login failed. I rebooted again, and this time noticed that it wouldn't even show up on my router. So booted into the BIOS made sure everything was OK, was fine. Then rebooted and ran a mem test. Sat through about 10 mins of screens of errors before calling it quits. Pulled memory out, replaced with only a single stick of memory (had two in originally, tried two sticks) and tested both slots, but now boot loop. I basically get to the BIOS screen then blinking cursor and then start over. Now this took place over the course of several weeks as I didn't have time to go troubleshoot the problem. 

UnRAID is basically hardware agnostic.  That means you can normally swap most of the hardware and unRAID does not care.  Assuming your disks are OK, the easiest way will be to simply plug your existing drives and USB stick into the new system.  It should just come up recognising all the disks with all you data and settings intact.  People swapping out a motherboard, processor and RAM is not that an infrequent occurrence.  If for some reason you will not be able to do this then mention what will be the stumbling block as that might affect any advice give.

You can then think about upgrading.  It is good idea to try and avoid doing more than one change at a time as that makes troubleshooting if anything goes wrong very difficult.

Note the above answer assumes you are on unRAID v5 (or later) which you implied was the case.  I am not sure if it is quite as easy prior to v5 as disks were then identified by where they were plugged in - not by their serial number as is the case for v5 and v6.

let me confirm.

So I can go ahead, replace the motherboard, cpu, ram, etc... but plug in the existing hdds and usb flash.

get the system running, then do a separate upgrade to unraid 6, new usb stick, new license and extra hdds. Do I have this right?

The new motherboard I  intend to purchase is the Asrock E3C224D4I-14S with theLSI 2308 SAS controller.

My current setup is unraid 5.x would I need to add any extra files to the existing usb key to have it recognize the SAS controller since I'm only using SATA2 right now?