Parity + data drive failed, what next?

ElJimador

After powering down to try installing a new graphics card my parity drive came up as missing.  Figuring it must be either that the power cable came loose or some issue w/the molex to sata Y power adapter I was using, I replaced the Y adapter with 2 separate molex to sata adapters that I'd used in another server w/no issues and made sure all the connections were tight.  This time it wouldn't even power on.  I had to disconnect those 2 drives first, and after reattaching them they no longer show up in BIOS or in unRAID.  So I understand that the data on the data drive (Disk 5) is lost.  But while I'm waiting for the RMA replacements for the drives I would like to take inventory to know exactly what got fried, what I have backups for, etc.  Would it be safe to do a new config without either the parity or Disk 5, assigning all other data drives to the slots they occupied previously?  Obviously I'm not going to write anything to the server until I preclear the replacement drives and rebuild parity.  I just want to make sure I don't do anything that could put the data on the rest of the array at risk until then.

BTW this is the third 6TB WD Red drive I've had fail in the same manner in the last month+. I got 6 total in 2 different orders in March and the first time it happened I was trying to move the drives from my main unRAID server to another.  In that case the drive that failed was also connected via a molex to sata power adapter and it did the same thing of not even powering on when I first tried to boot.  Since that was in a different server with a different motherboard and PSU, the only constants I can figure are that the 6TB Reds are incredibly touchy to being used w/molex to sata power adapters (although I've googled all over and can't find anyone who's had the same problem) or I just tapped into a bad batch.  All the drives were put through 3 preclear cycles and were in production for at least a couple months with no SMART errors, reallocated sectors, or anything to hint at any problems.  I've also been using 3 and 4TB WD Reds for the past couple years and never had any problems with those (with and without the same power adapters).  So other than making sure I only use sata power connectors from the PSU, I really don't know what else I should be trying to make sure this doesn't happen again.  If anyone has any ideas though let me know.  Thanks.

Archived