Should flash be accessible or at least read only?

edrauch

Ok, setup was a breeze. Very impressed... except by cost, but I am running this on an old laptop, so I'm trying it on the cheap. Since I probably will not be purchasing the product, and in fact am getting ready to reformat and try another product I don't want to waste anybody's time, but I found something to me that is at least interesting and I wanted to ask and see what the answer was. I installed this on a home network with 3 teenagers in home. User control didn't seem to have any effect? Do you have to enable or turn on user profiles or security somewhere. I'm assuming default access is public? Sorry that is a couple of questions! Actually my real question is (I can RTFM if I want my other answers) on my Windows network in my home, Tower and both hard drives are there bam! Just like lightning and fully accessible by everyone which I would expect. What I didn't expect and what is a little concerning is the full access to every user in my home of the "Flash" drive on Tower. I would expect at least the OS files to be hidden, or in their own read only partition, or at least read only. As any of my kids could just simply go in and delete the entire flash drive! Scary! And of course setting it to read only from a Windows side has no effect. So am I crazy or what?

So am I crazy or what?

Your not crazy, by default /boot is shared as /flash with all the system files accessible to all users. I think it's best practice to disable the sharing of flash, or at least make it private and hidden, but the choice is yours.

Also many users will want to disable disk shares (also created by default) in favor of user shares.

Archived