rsync over site to site VPN coping the same data causing data duplication.

Hey guys,

I can't figure this one out.  I have two unraid servers connected by a DD-WRT OpenVPN Server.  They have the rsync dameon setup.

When I run the rsync, it drops the files into a .sync/Archive folder, my understanding because I am not using the -inplace option.  I keep seeing the same files copy over to this folder.  I have yet to successfully run a single rsync to completion.  My longest attempt before an I/O error or connection time out was about a 2 week run.  The sync will get cut, and then I will rsync the movies to the correct folder locally and then delete the extra data in .sync/Archive.  What's interesting, is I am pulling over nearly 200 movie files before something kills my sync.  I will then do a rsync local from .sync/Archive to the correct folder and it will move like 2 new files over.  The local rsync works as it should, proving I have duplicate data in .sync/Archive

The idea is, the two folders should be closer and closer to getting into sync, even if I have to run it again. however I just keep getting duplicate data.  My raid array maxed out on me eventually.

This is how I am running the sync.  I tried with and with out the --checksum option hoping it would identify files correctly and not download unnecessary files.  Same results, massive duplication in the .sync/Archive folder

rsync -auzP --stats --inplace --ignore-existing --checksum --exclude-from /boot/rsync-exclude --log-file=/mnt/user/jffs/rsync.log rsync://192.168.4.5/mnt/user/Movies/  /mnt/user/Movies

Note I had to create an exclude for the DSstore and Appledouble files.  Data was originally uploaded by a Mac to the remote unraid server.  The data duplication was even worse until I excluded these.

I'm at like 40 attempts, and tried with the no exec option to get the results I wanted, no go....

Here is an example of my latest rsync locally after my VPN dropped again.  I was looking for potential new files, apparently 100% duplicate data 

This case no files were transferred between the .sync/Archive and correct movie folder.

root@Tower:/mnt/user/Movies/Movie1/.sync/Archive# pwd

/mnt/user/Movies/Movie1/.sync/Archive

root@Tower:/mnt/user/Movies/Movie1/.sync/Archive# du -sm * | sort -n | tail -10

2036    Minority Report

3089    Meet Joe Black (1998) 720p

3109    Middle of Nowhere (1080p HD)

3294    To Be Takei (1080p HD).mp4

3591    Memento (1080p HD)

3917    Mean Girls (1080p HD)

4116    Message In a Bottle (1080p HD)

7777    Men In Black Movies

8145    Prince of Persia 2011 1080p.mkv

13702  Mission Impossible Movies

root@Tower:/mnt/user/Movies/Movie1/.sync/Archive# rsync -aun --ignore-existing --stats ./ /mnt/user/Movies/Movie1

Number of files: 357

Number of files transferred: 0

Total file size: 60677399772 bytes

Total transferred file size: 0 bytes

Literal data: 0 bytes

Matched data: 0 bytes

File list size: 13844

File list generation time: 0.013 seconds

File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds

Total bytes sent: 15192

Total bytes received: 1347