Can's assign new drive...

I had a drive failure recently on an ide drive. I couldn't source another 750gb ide drive, so I bought a 1GB sata drive instead. In order to fit this to my unraid I needed to add another sata controller, which was identical to the one that was already there - a Promise TX4. The array boots and starts fine, but obviously shows drive 4 as missing. When i stop the array and go to devices it shows "no devices", but the drop-down has the options of "unassigned" and the drive serial number. When I select the drive, it just refreshes the page back to "no devices". I've tried rebooting etc, but to no avail. Any suggestions?  :)

I had a drive failure recently on an ide drive. I couldn't source another 750gb ide drive, so I bought a 1GB sata drive instead. In order to fit this to my unraid I needed to add another sata controller, which was identical to the one that was already there - a Promise TX4. The array boots and starts fine, but obviously shows drive 4 as missing. When i stop the array and go to devices it shows "no devices", but the drop-down has the options of "unassigned" and the drive serial number. When I select the drive, it just refreshes the page back to "no devices". I've tried rebooting etc, but to no avail. Any suggestions?  :)

The array is trying to write the super.dat file on the flash drive with the new disk's information, but cannot open it.  That's why you cannot assign it.

Did you remove the flash drive, or make it read-only?

nel: write_file: error 30 opening /boot/config/super.dat
Aug 24 17:04:31 Tower kernel: md: could not write superblock from /boot/config/super.dat
[/quote]

You might need to run chkdisk or scandisk on the flash drive if it is corruption causing the write error.

Joe L.

Never mind... I looked further up in the syslog.

The flash drive file-system needs repair.  Move it to your PC and run scandisk or chkdisk on it.

Aug 24 17:02:11 Tower rpc.statd[1435]: Version 1.1.4 Starting
Aug 24 17:02:11 Tower kernel: FAT: Filesystem panic (dev sdf1)
Aug 24 17:02:11 Tower kernel:     fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 131221)
Aug 24 17:02:11 Tower kernel:     File system has been set read-only
Aug 24 17:02:11 Tower kernel:     fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 131221)

That fixed it. I think it's time for a new flash drive...

I've been without my Unraid for quite some time now. I live in a rather remote part of Scotland and FedEx have been struggling to deliver my new sata controller. My heart sank when I installed it and it didn't pick up the new drive...  :o

Thanks once again Joe... :)