Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H IOMMU

redstratus

I have been a unraid user for a couple years now and was really intrigued when i read up on all the VM options in unraid 6. So I started looking at systems I run in my house (basic unraid box, HTPC, 2 gaming desktops) and realized I didn't have anything that did VT-d.

My main gaming and office computer has a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H (1150 ivy bridge) and i5 3570k.

From the googling I have done it looks like the motherboard is able to do VT-d. I am currently looking into buying a used 3770 and then selling my 3570k. Do you guys think this would be a good idea? I am really interested in learning how all this works so that in say 2 years I may build a really powerful server for the whole house (gaming, kodi, steamos, maybe some home automation stuff).

This computer is running Windows 10 (upgraded from win8.1). If i put in the 3770 and then run unraid as the base os will there be any potential issues getting the win10 to activate? Hopefully worst case i can explain that i changed some hardware and they will manual activate it?

Also anyone else running this mobo with IOMMU?

Thanks

Archived