System hangs on boot since enabling VT-d: "Triggering udev events"

I've got a problem with my new UnRAID Server Basic setup where it hangs on boot at this point:

Triggering udev events:  /sbin/udevadm trigger --action=change

This has happened since changing my BIOS settings to enable VT-d. I was able to boot into UnRAID successfully prior to enabling this. I did have to update my BIOS in order to access the option for this; I'm not sure if that could have an effect or not.

Here are my system specifications:

Intel Core i7 4960x processor

Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard

32GB Corsair RAM

1x Unknown graphics card (Found in my parts bin, installed as per Linus' video) (positioned in the first PCI-E slot of my PC)

2x Nvidia GTX 780Ti (positioned in the second and third PCI-E slots of my PC)

Does anybody have any advice on what could be causing this?

I just wanted to update this post with how I solved this problem for future Googlers who have the same problem and come across this post.

It seem as though it may have been one out of three things:

• My USB controller seems to be behaving rather erratically lately, so this may be caused by that. Try using a different USB port, or if you're using a port on the front of the PC, use one on the back.
  • Try unplugging the CD drive if you have one. There were a lot of errors on the screen pointing towards this, which unplugging the CD drive resolved.
  • This may have also been caused by an improper shut down, so always shut your unRAID system down properly.

If you're in an early stage of setting up your unRAID system, then the best thing to do would be to re-create your USB stick and try again. You should find it works after doing this, but you will lose all your settings.

It seem as though it may have been one out of three things:

• My USB controller seems to be behaving rather erratically lately, so this may be caused by that. Try using a different USB port, or if you're using a port on the front of the PC, use one on the back.
  • Try unplugging the CD drive if you have one. There were a lot of errors on the screen pointing towards this, which unplugging the CD drive resolved.
  • This may have also been caused by an improper shut down, so always shut your unRAID system down properly.

I would limit your list to the first 2 items, as I think it extremely unlikely that an unclean shutdown would have ANY impact at all.  unRAID boots from the flash drive, and creates a brand new unRAID operating system on each boot, so shouldn't be affected by previous corruption.  A power outage or severe crash or reboot with out proper shutdown, should not involve a corrupting write to flash (so it's still bootable), would leave a single flag set (completely harmless but indicates an unclean shutdown), and *might* result in file system corruption on array drives (but they aren't bootable, so will just cause operational errors in accessing an affected drive).

If you're in an early stage of setting up your unRAID system, then the best thing to do would be to re-create your USB stick and try again. You should find it works after doing this, but you will lose all your settings.

Except that EVERYONE has backups of their flash drive, right?, right!?!  ;)

• 10 months later...