Noob

M3rl3n

Hi All,

Although I'm a software engineer, I have little / no experience with servers and managing a network.  I know what I want to do but, I'm not sure how to get there, so I have a feeling I'll be asking a lot of questions.

So far, from what I've seen, I really like the Lime Tech OS, although I will continue on the trial period until I have things configured right.

In advance, I apologize for all of the questions that I will be asking.

As far as hardware, I believe that I done a pretty good job in setting up a good server.

In a beautiful Fractal Mode 804 case:

MB: ASRock FM2A88M Pro3+

APU: AMD A10-5800K Trinity Quad - Core 3.8GHz Socket FM2

RAM: 32GB G. Skill DDR3 PC312800

Currently, with the limitations of the Trial software, I have three hard drives. Set as the parity drive, a 2TB WDC drive, Disk 1 is a Hitachi 2TB, and a 640GB drive set as a Cache Drive.

I do have more drives to add in which will take total storage space to ~6TB (for now - I plan to replace drives with 2TB drives as I able) and another drive to add to the Cache.

What I want the server to do (her name is Becca) is 3 fold;

1) Backup my files from my (our) cell phones, tablets, laptops and the main desktop, especially my photographs (see also www.briodan.smugmug.com).

2) Serve as a media server for our music and movies

3) Provide a backup server for my family's files from their computers.

Any suggestions as to how to setup the above capabilities would be most welcomed.

Thanks for you help.

Archived