Faulty Hardware + v6 Upgrade

Hello all --

I'm currently running unRAID v5.02 and plan on upgrading to unRAID 6.x ASAP. However, I have some faulty hardware that I need to identify / replace first. I'm hoping someone can chime in on possible issues here. Here are my symptoms:

• System hard freezes: If a monitor is plugged in it goes blank, KB stops toggling light via Numlock, and even power button will not turn the machine off -- I have to use the PSU power to kill it
  • Freezes happen if any HDD is plugged in. I have tried all of the drives separately (one at a time); Freezes within 1-3 minutes
  • The freezes occur if I boot up an alternate (e.g. Ubuntu live) distro and access any HDD
  • I can access the drives elsewhere and check SMART: They do not report issues in their log nor if I run the self-tests
  • Mounting the drives elsewhere shows the data is intact and accessible
  • Memtestx86+ ran overnight with many passes without issue
  • This just started happening. System has run fine for years
  • Tailing system log when this occurs does not output anything eventful. When a single drive is plugged in the log will dump information as it complains about missing drives; This repeats until the freeze without additional/new data

Given the above, I figure the issue must be due to the motherboard or PSU. I don't have a alternate of either to try on hand, so I'm hoping someone can provide recommendations or additional tests to run.

If the issue is the motherboard, I'll likely get a new motherboard and CPU + RAM given their age (good excuse to upgrade, too!)

Thanks for any info!

I got my hands on another PSU and tested again - crashes with that as well. Since I can run various CPU or memory benchmark / tests for hours if there are no drives utilized, and the drives themselves work fine in other machines I'm pretty convinced it's the MB.

Using this an excuse to perform a slight upgrade to a i3 based box as I update to 6.0 :D