AMD Opteron 6282 SE Question regarding performance with UnRaid

ronni3

Just wondering if it would be of any interest to me to consider taking two of these 16 core Procs for use in a new UnRaid server. Currently I am using an Intel i5 3570K Quad-core processor with 16Gb DDR3 RAM and I have zero issues with that setup. Only time I ever have issues is with high bit rate content, ie. BluRay MKV Lossless. Stutters trying to send that much data although I have a Gigabit network and a Core i5 Mac Mini running Plex Media Center and the new Plex Media Player.

My Upload rate is limited to 10 Mb so I believe I have no issues streaming to family and friends at 4 Mb each session for 720p quality streams and the i5 is not being tasked in the slightest and because I can't upload higher rated content I would never really task the processor. So with that being said would it benefit me in any way to use two Opteron 6282 SE 16-core processors?

Also what would this processor be able to handle compared to the i5 3570K I am using right now?

I probably should add that I would love to be able to take my current gaming PC, which uses a i7-5820K and a GTX980 and consolidate into an all-in-one UnRaid gaming server using a Windows 10 VM and VT-d/VT-i to pass through the video card. The 3570K does not have the pass through virtualization technology. I am unsure if the Opteron 6282SE has the pass through technology.

Maybe taking the gaming PC and turning that into my UnRaid machine is the answer.

Archived