Please Help VPN N00B with VPN Capability / Features

Regent

Hi all,

I have plenty of experience with pc hardware / software, but networking is my weakest area... I'd appreciate any assistance offered!

I have my NAS up and running unraid 6, and would like to provide access to 1 of several shares to remote users, with the following 2 caveats;

I want to provide access to just one share on the NAS. Multiple, simultaneous users.

I only want access to this share to run through the VPN. Running the entire house through the VPN complicates other uses of the network.

In other words, I want to facilitate a direct connection to this share without exposing / risking access to, other network resources.

Can this be accomplished with VPN through a router? I have a NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000)

Or do I need to use the openvpn docker on the NAS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi all,

I have plenty of experience with pc hardware / software, but networking is my weakest area... I'd appreciate any assistance offered!

I have my NAS up and running unraid 6, and would like to provide access to 1 of several shares to remote users, with the following 2 caveats;

I want to provide access to just one share on the NAS. Multiple, simultaneous users.

I only want access to this share to run through the VPN. Running the entire house through the VPN complicates other uses of the network.

In other words, I want to facilitate a direct connection to this share without exposing / risking access to, other network resources.

Can this be accomplished with VPN through a router? I have a NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000)

Or do I need to use the openvpn docker on the NAS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not an expert on this, but I think the only way would be to setup security on all the shares that you don't want people to have access to, afaik, openvpn access is like giving someone access to your LAN, unrestricted.

As an aside, OpenVPN is far easier to setup on the router than your Unraid box, and is the way I would go.  I would imagine your router has OpenVPN capabilities but that's up to you to find out. 

Functionally there's no difference between doing it on your router or Unraid box, but router means that if your Unraid goes down you still have VPN access. 

Archived