Build Notes and Issues

harika

Build notes as of today (fully updated unRAID system and pluggins) ... I do not necessarily expect any support on this, possibly these notes can be useful to another in some way.

**edit to add logs if anyone wanted to see em**

Use case for my unRAID build was to add some flexibility to my existing gaming system. I wanted to have a solid storage system and the ability to load dockers. As it is (replacing?) a gaming box, that was one large piece of the puzzle for me.

Attempted to add Windows 7 x64, install failed due to the unsigned drivers issue with virtio. Some suggest its due to my win7 install media.

See : https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41652.0

and: https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=45141.0

also this one for a possible work around: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/3173-63-driver-signed-windows-setup

I ended up with a windows 7 32-bit install.

I was unable to install the ATI drivers for the graphics card I chose to pass through (R9 380). ATI install would fail at the beginning of the install. I have not successfully passed through the HD5850...that is my next mission.

....THEN....One of my 2 BTRFS cache disks dropped out and took the OS with it.

Dockers:

I tried to setup MineOS based on some other docker work. The one in community apps would never load for me so I went out to dockers hub and let community apps template it for me. I did get one version of MineOS working but it was VERY unstable, frequently crashing the servers inside. I also noticed that attempting to log on with root immediately crashed the MineOS docker.

Similar to the MineOS docker, I went looking for a 7 Days to Die docker. Again I was unable to get a working and stable docker. There were three versions I tried and the furthest I could get was to restart the container after it started its download several times. Once the third restart was complete I was able to see that the server started...and immediately shut down need to troubleshoot that still, but I have to learn a LOT more about dockers first.

Other issues:

At the moment I am seeking advice on what I thought was a defect in how hard drives are listed in the include/exclude drives list on each share. Apparently others do not have this issue. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=46289.0

Peripherals:

Gigabyte mouse - not detected as a USB device, unavailable for USB pass-through. I hope the USB cards and PCI pass-through will fix this.

Sportsbot mouse - not detected as a USB device, unavailable for USB pass-through. I hope the USB cards and PCI pass-through will fix this.

Razer Death Stalker Keyboard - Detected

Razer Arcosa Keyboard - Detected

*note detection is listed exactly the same for both Razer keyboards

Sportsbot Keyboard - Detected *listed as some kind of Chinese device

Motherboard:

ASrock Z87 Extreme6 (with the all USB ports on one BUS issue)

*(added due to motherboard single USB BUS issue)* PCI-E - USB-3.0 card

*(added due to motherboard single USB BUS issue)* PCI    - USB-2.0 card

Graphics Cards: Initially configured with ACS option to split them off the same bus.

*(removed)*MSI R9 380 2GD5T OC Graphics Card - Detected as: [AMD/ATI] Tonga PRO [Radeon R9 285] (rev f1)

Radeon HD 5850 - XFX HD-585A-ZNFK

Sound Card:

Creative Labs EMU20k2 [X-Fi Titanium Series]

Storage devices(11x):

3x - 3TB Seagates - one for parity

5x - 1TB SSHD Seagates

2x - BX200 Crucial SSDs - One for cache

1x - Cruser Fit 32GB - installed on motherboard USB port **apparently this did go right for me, many people report issues with the 32GB version of this USB Flash.

tower-diagnostics-20160205-2031.zip

Had some learning to do today...

I just bought the PCI cards so I can have plug and play while in the windows OS.

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36768.0 was pretty helpful but I did have a question about bus numbering.

root@Tower:~# lspci | grep USB
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 04)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
05:00.0 USB controller: Fresco Logic Device 1100 (rev 10)
07:01.0 USB controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 61)
07:01.1 USB controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 61)
07:01.2 USB controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 63)

I was looking at bus 5 it seems, this is my USB 3.0 PCIe card.

However, when looking at System Devices I see the devices I plugged into it listed as BUS 3. Why is it different?

Bus 003 Device 008: ID e0ff:0005  
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 1a7c:0191 Evoluent VerticalMouse 4
Bus 003 Device 007: ID 1532:010b Razer USA, Ltd 
Bus 003 Device 006: ID 2109:2812  
Bus 003 Device 009: ID 18f8:0f97  
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 2109:2812  
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 2109:2812  
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Also, you may notice the blank spaces, those are USB devices that are not properly detected, is there anything I can do about that?

This is what I added to my XML to pass through the card, is that correct?

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x05' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>

Finally, once I built the windows 7 box with VNC I shutdown and added my HD5850 and booted, I could see the start menu so all looked good, however no keyboards or mouse would work. (hence my above questions)

Also, when shutting down, the windows 7 shutdown screen lingers on my monitor, the VM is red/stopped but I still see the shutdown screen, can I fix that?

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped by the master PCI pass-through thread, saarg gave me the below. Works well on a fresh unraid boot but if I ever make a mistake and click edit I will have to rebooot unRAID in order to get the Windows VM to boot again.

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>

<driver name='vfio'/>

<source>

<address domain='0x0000' bus='0x05' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>

</source>

</hostdev>

If I ever make the mistake of clicking edit, I get the following errors when trying to bring the Windows VM online:

Execution error

internal error: early end of file from monitor: possible problem:

2016-02-15T13:32:21.429820Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=05:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6: vfio: Error: Failed to setup INTx fd: Device or resource busy

2016-02-15T13:32:21.430262Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=05:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6: Device initialization failed

2016-02-15T13:32:21.430276Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=05:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6: Device 'vfio-pci' could not be initialized

So far I have a VM ubuntu server up with 7 days to die, I used https://7dtd.illy.bz/wiki/Installation for the install. I gave up on docker for now.

It works but on occasion when playing on the server with my Windows VM (above) unRAID crashes. I have to force it off as nothing is responsive.

• 1 month later...

The below applies to current updated system:

unRAID Server OS  : 6.1.9

Dynamix webGui    : 2016.03.05

Community Applications: 2016.03.26

Unassigned Devices : 2016.03.26

Occasionally unRAID goes unresponsive, no telnet, not webGUI. When this happens it also takes out my LAN, I can see the switch flashing like its going out of style, if I disconnect unRAID from the switch I can get back to a working LAN. This is on my list to troubleshoot, it seems like a full crash as the power button (which normally shuts down all VMs and then turns off unRAID) does nothing on a single press and I must press and hold to shut it down.

I can handle working through this one but it takes 7 hours for a parity check once it flakes out like this.

Any chance someone else sees this, or knows a troubleshooting step?