Motherboard and CPU suggestions

mattail

I've decided to build my own unraid NAS/server which is new to me.

The main purpose of this NAS/server will be to run plex media server, store pictures, movie, documents etc. and run different background applications such as torrent client and sickrage.

But I might also want to use it for virtualization and this is where I could use some help regarding which motherboard and CPU to use.

Is it correct that for VM's I would need a CPU with onboard graphics or add a graphic card to the server?

My dilemma is that I would like a low power mini-itx form factor setup but I would like also IPMI and the ability to run VM.

1 .I've looked at the Asrock C236 WSI mini-itx with 8 sata ports  http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C236%20WSI#Specifications

With this board I could use an intel core I7-6700T with onboard graphics (9140 in passmark) and  a TDP of 35 Watt which is really nice. Or use a Xeon E3-1260L V5 and then buy

a graphic card. But I don't think it would fit in a mini-itx case and there is no IPMI.

2. Asrock E3C236D4U http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=E3C236D4U#Specifications with one of the mentioned CPU.

It has 8 sata ports, IPMI but is a micro atx.

Byt the way are there any benefits using this xeon E3-1260LV5  compared to the I7 6700T? In terms of TDP and benchmark they seem to perform pretty much the same.

It depends what you want to do with your VM, some people like to use their VM for gaming so they want to pass through a gaming capable GPU, or others just want a VM to run a few applications in which case you can use VNC to connect to your VM and do not require a separate GPU for it, its up to you. In terms of your CPU choice the only difference I can see is that the 6700T supports higher resolutions for its internal graphics, otherwise they seem to be on part in their offerings.

It depends what you want to do with your VM, some people like to use their VM for gaming so they want to pass through a gaming capable GPU, or others just want a VM to run a few applications in which case you can use VNC to connect to your VM and do not require a separate GPU for it, its up to you. In terms of your CPU choice the only difference I can see is that the 6700T supports higher resolutions for its internal graphics, otherwise they seem to be on part in their offerings.

I think you just answered my question then as I won't be using VM for gaming.

I just noticed that the intel I7-6700T doesn't support ECC memory, would you think that this is necessary for an Unraid build? What would you suggest if it was up to you?

Archived