unraid compatibility with OPAL? and USB 3.x add-in?

darckhart

hi all, newb here. read the manual sticky, any other documentaiton I could find, did some quick searches. two questions:

1) does unraid play well with OPAL drives? (ie, does it work? is there performance hit? etc) I would think yes since all that takes place outside/before the OS environment, but I don't really know how hardware based full disk encryption really works...

2) does unraid support add-in usb 3.x cards? (eg, pcie add-in card to provide usb 3 functionality) I run an X58 motherboard that doesn't have any inbuilt usb 3 support and it'd be great to have it to move my data into the array via something fast instead of slow lan.

thanks for any help!

We have no experience so far with OPAL, not even one request yet.  There have been requests for disk encryption, so I know there's interest in it.  I suppose what we need is for a knowledgeable person to provide specific specs needed, what driver support is needed, what management support is available, what drives are eligible, etc.  Once there is a valid set of specifics that look doable, I'm sure LimeTech would be willing to add the driver support, and probably someone will provide the Docker container for the support software, or instructions on setting up a VM for the management software.

There is some USB 3.0 support, built into the current kernels, so *probably* what you need is already there.  But cards can sometimes be tricky, may require their own driver.  You will either need to find a report of success with a specific card (you should mention which one you need), or you'll have to test it yourself.

Archived