Adding Parity disk (late)

thejamkel

Hi Folks,

Thanks to lots of expert advice I have received here I have my unraid System built (6.1.8) and is serving Plex, Sonarr, NZBget, Deluge and Plexpy. I'm really happy with the solution and have upgraded to a Pro license.

I had an abundance of data without the funds to properly secure my data and as such the solution is sitting with a WD4TB and a WD3TB sat in providing 7TB of storage. Today I've purchased an additional 4TB WD drive to act as parity. I have been doing some Google/Forum research on how to implement this drive correctly in order to add the parity layer to my unRaid system.

I am reading alot about preclearing the disk, i found the post linking to the preclear script but as a data/linux newbie I don't understand too much of the process and how it relates to adding another drive to the array. Could someone take the time to help me understand the recommended process to add my new drive in as parity? If it is deemed necessary to preclear the disk can someone provide the steps in a newbie friendly way to add and run the script on the new disk?

I am also planning to swap my mechanical cache disk (Old and is failing) to a SSD - I currently have my appdata set to cache only - is it simple enough to backup, remove old disk, insert new disk and copy data back over?

Thank so you much in advance, as always I appreciate the help i get from these forums.

-TJK

Archived